mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Planning Summer Long Weekend Trip....

I am looking at planning a camping and / or cabin trip to a yet to be determined location in Michigan coming from Southern Ohio. (I am not considering the UP due to travel time)

I was thinking Boyne Mountain or some where south of Traverse City.

It would be a few couples with the guys going MTB, and the women entertaining themselves in a small town or winery maybe...

We also may throw in a few brewery stops...

Let me know what your recommendations are.

What are the must ride MI trails not in the UP (to far for 4 to 5 days)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would look into Traverse City and Petoskey. Both are on the lake, and are popular vacation spots with plenty to do besides mountain biking. Traverse City is bigger and close to many wineries, but Petoskey is closer to Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands. They are close enough that it is worthwhile to visit both if you have time.

You can find a trail guide at the Michigan Mountain Biking Association website (Michigan Mountain Biking Association). There is also a great forum you can use to get trail tips from the locals. I live in southern Michigan, so I am not very familiar with many of the northern trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I live in Petoskey, I I avoid TC like the plague in the summer (too many people). I can go for a 30+ mile mtb ride here and not see a single person. Besides the Boynes we have 40+ miles of the NCT close by. we also have two Breweries in town and a few winerys. Here are a few close by rides.
    CH fitness test by trevrev97 at Garmin Connect - Details
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Afternoon spin. near Harbor Springs | Times and Records | Strava
    Last edited by trevrev97; 01-04-2014 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    The trail guide link WillTheGreat posted is very useful. If you do end up in the TC area check out Glacial Hills. This trail has some great flow to it & it will really leave you smiling. It's machine cut, so it is a wider trail. Plus Shorts Brewery is only a mile or two away in Bellaire. There's also the VASA singlestrack & Arcadia Dunes isn't too far away. A bit further south is the Big M which, along with Glacial Hills, is one of my favorite trails in the state.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Boyne highlands if you want downhill riding. Boyne and Boyne highlands also have have some nice xc trails as well.

mtbr member
    I did Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands the last week of September. The weather was perfect - 70's and sunny. Did a Thursday through Sunday trip stopping to ride some trails along the way. Stayed at Boyne Mountain which seemed to be just busy enough to be interesting. Accommodations were not cheap, nor were they luxurious. Didn't really care as we rode most of the time and didn't need anything fancy.

We'll be back next year.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Stay in Frankfort. It's on the water with killer beaches, awesome bluff views and great restaurants(Fusion has great asian food)...The women will love it. The mountain biking is damn good as well, starting with the Arcadia trail 10 mi. south of Frankfort. Its a sweet loop, one of Michigan's best and has a cool hike across the street called Old Baldy with a killer view of the Frankfort lighthouse and lake Michigan 400 ft below.. North country trail starting at the marilla trail head has the most dramatic views in lower Michigan, along with the toughest climbs and high speed flow. Another is lake ann pathway and Big "M" trail. Both are fun.

mtbr member
    Mud Sweat and Beers @ Traverse City in May. Then downhill at Boyne Highlands in June. Followed by Peak to Peak at Crystal Mountain in Oct. End it all with Iceman in Traverse City in Nov.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you want to throw in a little paddling the section of the Bear in Petosky is fun.

mtbr member
    Great idea eb1888. Nice heavy flow at times. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    FWIW... I think copper harbor would be worth considering despite the extra ~250 miles.