mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Places to check out in the UP!

By chance, I'll be staying up at a cabin on Lake Gogebic for the week of the 16-22nd, for almost free!

Anyhow, I've never been up to the U.P. before, and I'm looking to get in some good riding, and maybe some other cool experiences aswell.

I'm planning on riding Copper Harbor, but I was wondering if there were anything else within 3 hours drive of Lake Gogebic to check out.

I'd also like to know if there are any decent kayaking, scenic hiking, ect around there. Basically the U.P. is my oyster for a week, and I'd like to take as much advantage of it as possible. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Check out the MTU trails in Houghton, Churning Rapids and Masto Heito in Hancock, and Swedetown in Calumet. All really fun trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Places to check out in the UP!

If you like rugged, technical singletrack, the Adventure Mine in Greenlannd is fun. It is not too far from Gogebic. The Wolverine trails near Bessemer are also worth riding and not far away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    In addition to trails listed above, the Porcupine Mountains are a must if you are looking for hiking/camping/scenery. They also have mountain bike trails, haven't ridden them myself. There are also plenty of waterfalls in the UP, I think Bond Falls is up in that area. Marquette area has some great mountain bike trails that are worth the drive if you make a day of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I totally agree with the other recommendations given here so far.

If you need to prioritize your mountain biking, here is my personal top three ranking:
    1. Copper Harbor
    2. South Trails, Marquette
    3. Michigan Tech trails, Houghton

Guided sea kayaking (Copper Harbor):
    Keweenaw Adventure Company in Copper Harbor, Michigan 906-289-4303

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=arkon11;10449701]By chance, I'll be staying up at a cabin on Lake Gogebic for the week of the 16-22nd, for almost free!

Anyhow, I've never been up to the U.P. before, and I'm looking to get in some good riding, and maybe some other cool experiences aswell.

I'm planning on riding Copper Harbor, but I was wondering if there were anything else within 3 hours drive of Lake Gogebic to check out.

I'd also like to know if there are any decent kayaking, scenic hiking, ect around there. Basically the U.P. is my oyster for a week, and I'd like to take as much advantage of it as possible. Any ideas?

[/QUOTE
    Beside good biking, you are just north of the Sylviania track wilderness area. Lots of lakes to paddle with portages to get further out there. Most of the lakes don't allow motors. Lots of animal life too. Do a search.

mtbr member
    I'm not too far away from where you're headed (Ontonagon).

If you want to ride with us in the Porkies you can email us at nonesuchmountainbikeclub@gmail.com

Besides the obvious (Copper Harbor, H & H), there are a number of trails in the Ironwood area as well as a healthy bike scene.

Too bad it's going to be in the 90's this week and bugs are exceptionally bad and late this year, otherwise we were going to plan something.

[QUOTE=Stevebiker;10465114]
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    By chance, I'll be staying up at a cabin on Lake Gogebic for the week of the 16-22nd, for almost free!

[/QUOTE
    Beside good biking, you are just north of the Sylviania track wilderness area. Lots of lakes to paddle with portages to get further out there. Most of the lakes don't allow motors. Lots of animal life too. Do a search.