jms
    mtbr member

Pine Haven And Other Questions

Hi All,

I'm going to be visiting the Midland/Sanford area the weekend of November 16 and I'm wondering about the riding in Michigan during the fall and winter months in and around Pine Haven Forest reserve.

Also, can anyone tell me what is the Fat Bike "season" is in central Michigan?

Thanks in advance!
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Be aware deer gun season opens on the 15th and there will be hunters every where. Hundreds of thousands throughout the state. Personally I wouldn't consider it a good time to be cruising through the woods, your call.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's a big weekend for the hunters here in Michigan. If I were you, I'd probably not ride while you're visiting. If you must, then make it between 11am to 2pm as that would be when the least amount of hunters would be in the woods. And if you go, make sure you wear some hunter's orange

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    JMS,
    no problem at Pine Haven as far as hunting. Although it is technically open, very few if any do due to the recreational foot traffic and small area of the park. Never any deer hunters and maybe a few small game throughout the year. (mostly in sept). The single and 2 tracks are good to go!!
    2 other options.
    1. Midland City Forrest. Corner of Eastman and Monroe just north of the mall. No hunting allowed and much work has been done to make the MTB coarse a blast.
    2. Mid Michigan Community College. 1/2 hour from Midland out US10 just north of Clare.
    16miles of freshly leaf blown off singletrack!!! No hunting allowed either. Some of the best singletrack in Mid Michigan.
    No matter where you go in Michigan right now, wear some orange or bright red!
    As for fat bike season? Its always Fat Bike season!!!
    -Jon