Keep on Rockin...

Passing thru the UP, riding advice needed...

I'm looking for some of the better rides as I pass through the UP. I coming from PA to go to northern WI. First day of driving will get us to around Sleeping Bear Dunes where we'll stay overnight. The next day we'll be going through the UP and would like to put in about 2.5 hours of riding that day.

I'm looking for 2 things in the riding. First, single track. No dirt road riding. I've been riding for 15 years and I'm bringing the geared FS bike and I want challenging trails. (I'm leaving the rigid SS at home.) The Marquette area looks promising. Can you name a few trails that might hit the spot?

The other thing I would like to get is some nice views of the big Lake. I'd trade in a bit of single track quality if it meant getting out in the woods to take in nice scenery (but I still don't want too much dirt road riding.) Copper Harbor looks like a good spot for that. It would be a bit out of the way but based on the reading sounds like it might be worth it. I'd rather not be riding in a park in a town if you follow. I'd like to feel like I'm in the woods.

Munising will be on the way too so if that would have better offerings I'm game.

Climbing and decending are good but I get plenty of that here in PA. Windy, scenic, sinlge track is I'd like the most.

Thanks,

Mike

Black Sheep rising
    Go to mmba.org and look up user Di_bear. She knows the area quite well. She will likely be able to help you out.

Good luck and have fun!
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member

if you are coming through Houghton on US 41

and still have time to ride after coming past all the nice trails in Marquette, then you should try some of the sweet single track at the Tech Trails, Churning Rapids or Swedetown. Down Wind Sports is one of the local bike shops right on 41 in downtown Houghton will give you maps/directions.

Have fun

mtbr member

Wednesday night

If you are going to be in Ishpeming (which you should try to be) on Wednesday, be at Jasper Ridge Brewery on US 41 (behind McDonalds) by 6:15pm and there will be 2 groups to ride with. Sounds like you'd like to ride with the "A" group. All singletrack all the time. Tell them you want to see some scenery, they are all great people and will be glad to oblige!

Keep on Rockin...

Thanks....

Looks like Marquette will be a definite and we'll see after that.

Appreciate the help.

Mike

Elsievo
    If you want challenging, Copper Harbor is a must do. Closest thing to BC Riding in the Midwest. Lots of vertical, great views of Lake Superior, color is not quite peak yet.
    See www.keweenawadventure.com, Sam and the crew will steer you right.

Unfortunately it is not on the way to anything, any further north and you're swimming to Canada.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just south on Munising on H13 is some sweet single track. About 8 miles south on H13 there is a parking area on the right at Moccassin lake. There should be trail maps in the box.
    The south trails in Marq. are good and well marked. Stay on 28-41 into town and turn south on McClellan ave. (Tommie's Restaurant is on the s.w. corner on a small hill) After a couple of 4 way stops the parking area is on the left just as the road goes from 4 lane to 2 lane.

Steve

mtbr member
    Marquette Mountain is some good single track. If I remember correctly you want to look for the Nordic Bay Lodge on the East side of town. It's right off US 41. Park in the hotels parking lot and one of the trail heads is right at the entrance to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't stop.
    Be afraid.
    It's not spoken of what men do to men
    on those cold lonely winter nights in da you p.
    LS

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hungus
    Marquette Mountain is some good single track. If I remember correctly you want to look for the Nordic Bay Lodge on the East side of town. It's right off US 41. Park in the hotels parking lot and one of the trail heads is right at the entrance to the parking lot.
    That is an easier way to get on the trails.

The directions I gave are to the main parking area as it is a more centralized location with a better map. I think this would be a better place to start. With all the loops starting there it gives somebody who hasn't ridden there more options.