Ancient Winged Rider

Owasippe trail....

Today was my first time at Owasippe Boyscout camp. I arrived there at 9:30 am and wanted to get in a ride before the rain came.
    I paid my $5.00 and got on my brand new Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.
    The trail consisted of a number of different loops but I chose to do the red,blue loop.
    Wow entering this loop from the trail head it was a very good downhill. I was energized and impressed. I rode along and felt great climbing and descending this trail. There are challenges for even the most daring but I'll get to it later. The terrain was real diverse but enjoyable.

That was until I felt I got lost. The trail markings did at times get confusing. They were even marked on both sides of the tree so sometimes you didn't know which way to go. Then I ran into what looked like an XC race course. I ended up getting on it and after the 2nd time around I figured out that I was going in circles. They had some of the trails cut off just for that purpose.
    Anyway, I got back on the trail and the switchbacks were making me feel disorientated. It wouldn't have been so confusing if I went there on a sunny day cause I could kinda tell which way was north. Then I started to get tired. I thought that I was in fairly good shape but this course made me bonk harder than I'd ever had. Now I've ridden Yankee Springs but I never felt so tired as I did on this trail.
    My confidence didn't come back until I found a weathered map on a tree.
    I kinda knew where I was. Then it came to the most difficult part in my opinion. This section was a downhill that was off chamber and very narrow. and it had danger signs posted so I knew it was going to be hard. After completing that hard section I went through a couple of meadows and crossed a small bridge. But it seemed to be a lot longer than what the map had said. At this point I was so tired that even small hills caused me to dismount and walk. Looking at my computer the time was getting close for me to seriously think of calling someone cause I still didn't know how far it was. After looking at my cell phone I discovered that there was no service .
    I then found another map in section 4 and I was on my homeward leg.
    I arrived at my car at 2:30.
    My impressions of this ride ? What a good trail should be. Difficult, Fun, Technical and very pretty scenery. I'd enjoyed it more if I didn't have that lost feeling.
    The smart thing was to have someone that knew the trail but I was the only one there at that time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yea man, I've gotten lost there too....had to call a friend at a couple intersections. That bridge makes a great jump ramp. Two hills on that course are just killers. One shorter steep one just after a corner when you don't expect it and one long long steep one with a couple turns in it....hard to keep your front wheel down. Nice off camber section downhill similar to the devils soup bowl at yankee but about 10X better. Just don't catch a pedal or shoe on the left.

There's a couple downhillers that are just crazy....your off camber one and then the one that goes straight down and then you have to sneek between trees at 80mph.

That is one trail that you should go with someone that has ridden a few times...as you already know. Try it when its getting dark sometime......

Ancient Winged Rider
    I don't know if I'd want to night ride there. I found a died turkey that was either eaten by a bear or a cougar or a pack of coyotes. It was all over and bloody.

I plead the fizif
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. A coyote would be most likely with an outside chance of a black bear. Both of which, as the saying goes, are more scared of you then you are of them and they run off well before you see them. I think the rare cougar sightings have been all in the U.P. Since they can't afford the toll to cross the Mackinac bridge, they in all likelihood will stay in the U.P.

Ancient Winged Rider
    Well, I live in Muskegon and there have been sightings of a cougar or an exotic cat sighted in Hoffmaster State Park. No Lie......

I plead the fizif
    Actually I have done a little more reading since my last post and found a few reports of sightings in the L.P. I stand corrected, however I would say that it is the least likely of the three and coyote still seems likely.

Also, I have been considering purchasing a Stumpjumper FSR, how do you like it for climbing? Does it seem "heavy"?

Ancient Winged Rider
    No I love mine. It climbs awesome. I have a Gary Fisher Hard tail also and my Stumpy will out climb it any day...My Stumpy is a large frame and it weighs 27 lbs right from my LBS.

HTFU and Ride

Ditto...but on a single speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoneyes
    Today was my first time at Owasippe Boyscout camp. I arrived there at 9:30 am and wanted to get in a ride before the rain came.
    I paid my $5.00 and got on my brand new Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.
    The trail consisted of a number of different loops but I chose to do the red,blue loop.
    Wow entering this loop from the trail head it was a very good downhill. I was energized and impressed. I rode along and felt great climbing and descending this trail. There are challenges for even the most daring but I'll get to it later. The terrain was real diverse but enjoyable.

That was until I felt I got lost. The trail markings did at times get confusing. They were even marked on both sides of the tree so sometimes you didn't know which way to go. Then I ran into what looked like an XC race course. I ended up getting on it and after the 2nd time around I figured out that I was going in circles. They had some of the trails cut off just for that purpose.
    Anyway, I got back on the trail and the switchbacks were making me feel disorientated. It wouldn't have been so confusing if I went there on a sunny day cause I could kinda tell which way was north. Then I started to get tired. I thought that I was in fairly good shape but this course made me bonk harder than I'd ever had. Now I've ridden Yankee Springs but I never felt so tired as I did on this trail.
    My confidence didn't come back until I found a weathered map on a tree.
    I kinda knew where I was. Then it came to the most difficult part in my opinion. This section was a downhill that was off chamber and very narrow. and it had danger signs posted so I knew it was going to be hard. After completing that hard section I went through a couple of meadows and crossed a small bridge. But it seemed to be a lot longer than what the map had said. At this point I was so tired that even small hills caused me to dismount and walk. Looking at my computer the time was getting close for me to seriously think of calling someone cause I still didn't know how far it was. After looking at my cell phone I discovered that there was no service .
    I then found another map in section 4 and I was on my homeward leg.
    I arrived at my car at 2:30.
    My impressions of this ride ? What a good trail should be. Difficult, Fun, Technical and very pretty scenery. I'd enjoyed it more if I didn't have that lost feeling.
    The smart thing was to have someone that knew the trail but I was the only one there at that time.
    I had ridden here before but I got messed up after the XTERRA race too. Wanted to ride the blue, ended up riding both pretty much..much of which was fresh trails. Did I mention I was on my 34x18 single speed hardtail! I bonked soooo hard it was sick, ran out of water cause I wasnt planning on needing more than my full camelbak. I love riding there but that was a rough day. If you come to the trail days (check the MMBA site) you can get a pass to ride for the year! Pretty sweet deal for 4 hours work. At the last one we marked stuff better and some guys cut in a GREAT reroute....another brutal climb (what doesnt seem brutal on a SS) but a rippin DH after

Maybe I'll see ya up there sometime!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjon
    I had ridden here before but I got messed up after the XTERRA race too. Wanted to ride the blue, ended up riding both pretty much..much of which was fresh trails. Did I mention I was on my 34x18 single speed hardtail! I bonked soooo hard it was sick, ran out of water cause I wasnt planning on needing more than my full camelbak. I love riding there but that was a rough day. If you come to the trail days (check the MMBA site) you can get a pass to ride for the year! Pretty sweet deal for 4 hours work. At the last one we marked stuff better and some guys cut in a GREAT reroute....another brutal climb (what doesnt seem brutal on a SS) but a rippin DH after

Maybe I'll see ya up there sometime!
    I have it on good authority ( ) that the mtb time trial race held there was won by some old guy on a rigid singlespeed-38x16 at that. I think it's a great singlespeed course

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbyker
    I have it on good authority ( ) that the mtb time trial race held there was won by some old guy on a rigid singlespeed-38x16 at that. I think it's a great singlespeed course
    Out of curiousity, do you drive a white Ranger with a license plate that matches your username?

I'd never heard of this trail before, I'm going to have to look it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deranged
    Out of curiousity, do you drive a white Ranger with a license plate that matches your username?

I'd never heard of this trail before, I'm going to have to look it up.
    No, I have a weird colored greenish Kia, but it's paid for!

If you haven't been there yet, you need to check it out. It has quite a bit of sand so it's great as soon as the snow is gone.........