mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Ore to Shore tire pressure

August 8th will be my first O2S. Doing the Hard Rock. I have read about the course. I have also read the web sites response to questions about tire pressures and I am not sure I have full faith in their response.

I weight 170 lbs and will be on a 26" FS with 2.0 Michelin Drys with tubes. Fast rolling tire. If the course is dry what pressures would be suggested? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's all personal preference. I live here and if it's dry there are stretches that will be extra sandy. I currently run at 35-40 lbs in my Hutchingson Bulldogs and it seems to be ok. I ride a 26" hardtail and weigh about 155. We've been having quite a bit of rain this "summer" so things have stayed fairly packed.

You down with entropy?
    Quote Originally Posted by red earth
    . We've been having quite a bit of rain this "summer" so things have stayed fairly packed.
    that is what I have been wondering (how dry the summer has been). Good to know.

for the OP
    On tire pressure it really depends. on smaller volume tires you generally have to run higher pressures to avoid pinch flats. this is really general and relative. I would go somewhere near where you live and do some tests. If there is an area that has some variation from loose/rocky or rooty/hard, bring a hand pump and a gauge, or better yet start high and then let a little out between tests, then you only need a gauge.

for what its worth I am generally running between 30 and 40psi, but I am heavier (about 210-ish) and have higher volume tires (the conti race king 2.2 has lots of volume, the 2.4 mountain king is about the same size, I also use 2.2 mountain kings as well)