Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ore to Shore

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Ore to Shore

My wife and I are going to do the 28 mile Ore to shore race this August. We have never ridden in Michigan before. What will the trail conditions be like. Is it a technical course? Lots of fire roads? Single track?
    TMT

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    fast not much Single track, a little rocky, make sure you bring stuff for a flat, its a fun balls out sorta race. Fire roads, two track, very little single track, railroad beds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thats what I was hoping for. The wife is new to Mtbing and doesn't need 28 miles of single track. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Winner last year avgd 19.2 mph, definitely a fast race by the numbers. Sounds like lots of big ring riding.
    Anyone ride it on a road/cross bike with fat tires?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I saw a few guys with cross bikes, I also saw them trail side fixing flats. I would still qualify this as an MTB race the is enough gnarly stuff in it to almost require fat tires

Karma Vampire
    I rode this race, long version, twice a few years back. The last time, I recall the winners, the Eppen's from Iowa, won the race atop a tandem. That tells you how fast the Eppen's are, but also how little tight single track there is there. I also saw a custom Ventana tandem snap at the head-tube junction in a sandy pit.

Yes, like much of the riding in Michigan, this race has "some" sand. I don't recall seeing a cyclocross bike. I am sure it has/could be done, but you should have very good CX+MTB skills. A "monster cross" bike setup would give you a fighting chance. If it were my first year, I would go with a fat tire ~2.2" wide, hard-tail, 29'er even better. Of course, just a bring-what you-own. The point to point style, mass start & the local volunteers really make this race a blast in my opinion. Stick around for the award ceremony. Take home a case of MI brew.

mtbr member
    It's a pretty easy race. There's quite a bit of road riding, hard packed double track and the one thing that sucks, sand. There are some REALLY sandy parts, so that would be the only thing I'd urge you to look out for. It's not technical and is pretty sally'ed out imo. If you're in the area and want some real MI trail, stop by Marquette's south trails or go up to Copper Harbor and ride up there. EPIC single track. I'll be doing the hardrock this year, we'll see how that goes. I heard its a bit more technical and grueling, which is ok by me!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Been there and done that O2O a few times. Like others have said its 2 track, fire RDs, gravel roads or sandy paths. In fact we won't do it again because it totally lacks single track, which we find is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun to ride. And we only ride tandems.

We're in Houghton and if any of you folks get up this way we'd guide you around our area trails via the fun way to do them. (least our opinion)
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Coincidentally, I will probably be in town for the first time on other business the weekend of the race, would like to do the 48miler, but really don't want to travel with my bike from the south as it would be a PITA. Plus its SS and I'm thinking I'd want gears for this one to really hammer the flats and downhills. Or gear it up given little climbing? Anyone in the area rent bikes?

mtbr member
    I think some of the local bike shops do rentals? But I'm not 100%
    -Eric

mtbr member
    None of the local shops rent mountain bikes it appears after calling around today. Only crusiers... although that would make for an interesting race.

Anyone willing to rent out a personal steed? I may look at shipping my bike up but hate to have the delay or the expense if not needed. It is unfortunately too big to fit in a standard case.

A bike brought me here!

Renting?

I live right here in "Da U.P. eh!" The Ore to Shore runs within two miles of my home.... I have several mountain bikes and would not mind renting but I'm afraid they might break down....
    Methinks a person is rather reluctant to let someone else use his 500 dollars bike! and there may be a question of liability.... say the front wheel tacos and you break a leg.... who's fault?
    I usually work at the first AID station at the 10 mile mark and there is on average 10 break downs, 5 blood letting injuries, 20 or more dropouts and 80 gallons of H2O and energy drinks consumed.... not to mention lots of oranges!
    We throw more water at the riders then they drink! Their request!

poikaa

I have a 1994 Norco Pinnacle I could rent!
    "I don't ride a bike, I'm the pilot!"

nOOb
    May 2008
    I'm probably driving up from southwestern WI to do this. I'll be riding a Redline 29er, a 1 x 9, a 34 up front with an 11-34 in the back. I hope that's sufficient... may switch to a 36 tooth up front. Anyone see an elevation profile with grade on it anywhere?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I'm probably driving up from southwestern WI to do this. I'll be riding a Redline 29er, a 1 x 9, a 34 up front with an 11-34 in the back. I hope that's sufficient... may switch to a 36 tooth up front. Anyone see an elevation profile with grade on it anywhere?
    idk what kinda shape you're in, but you'll probably be fine. I run the same setup on my 29 and have never had issues. Hell, I've raced the whole thing on a single speed and it wasn't hard for me at least. There are a few good climbs, but they are mostly on paved roads on Co.Rd. 510. There is one tough hill, kirby's hill which is loose dirt and woodchips right near the end that can be tough, but its rideable provided no one steals or blocks your line.
    -Eric

A bike brought me here!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    www.oretoshore.com That will give you access to a down loadable file that has the elevations.... Drops are in the thousand foot range over several miles! I'd upload here but way too big!

poikaa I'll be at the first aid station, 10.1 miles in....
    Last edited by Poikaa; 08-03-2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Forgot!

nOOb
    May 2008
    The Soft Rock sounds like a good race for the gf to get her feet wet in also. Thanks for the link, I didn't look closely enough at the pdf file for the course before to see those extra pages. It looks like there is not a lot of big climbing, just rollers. Looks like fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anyone want to throw out a few tire recommendations for a FS 29er ?? I've never been but I'm considering the drive from Minneapolis to give it a shot....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Any fast rolling tire will do, I will be running Conti race kings front and back, no grip really needed just speed. SB8s woulfd work too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jreinan01 View Post
    Anyone want to throw out a few tire recommendations for a FS 29er ?? I've never been but I'm considering the drive from Minneapolis to give it a shot....
    as said, something with low rolling resistance. I think I'll either be on Geax Segaurros or Maxxis Crossmark's.

If I take my 26er I'll run my Larsen TT's. Small block 8's wouldn't be a bad choice either. Only difficult issue is gonna be the sand, so I'd run them at a bit lower pressure imo, least I'm going to.
    -Eric

A bike brought me here!
    Quote Originally Posted by jreinan01 View Post
    The surfaces on the Ore to Shore is mixed, sand to gravel and even some paved surface. Most of the two track roads are sandy gravel with a few ex rail road grades thrown in. I do not think there is any single track as most of the trails used also double as groomed snowmobile trails in Winter. Not many branches in the face on this race!
    So your choice will be up to you but I would keep in mind of the sand and rocky power line trails....

poikaa

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was considering using Stan's Crow or Raven...any thoughts??

A bike brought me here!

More details for the Ore to Shore

just got off the phone with one of the people from the Ore to Shore....

I asked about single track and there is a short 100 yard portion of connecting track near the end, so the hard rock and soft rock will transverse this. I also asked about the sand and he said there is lots of it and recommended a wider tire for these portions of the race, no exact brand or style.
    Yes there are areas of private land ownership and these are closed for other than the race. Kind of cuts the route of the hard rock in half! I am not riding this year but hope to do so next year, not to win but just for the ride!
    Not to distract from the Ore to Shore, I was surprised to see several races in the U.P. of Michigan for August and September and September is a mighty fine month to be in "Da U.P. of Michigan" !

poikaa
    Last edited by Poikaa; 08-05-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Any suggestions for some Sunday morning single track? I've seen the maps and read a bit about the Marquette South trails - can anyone give us a brief description of the loops? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcpedaler View Post
    Any suggestions for some Sunday morning single track? I've seen the maps and read a bit about the Marquette South trails - can anyone give us a brief description of the loops? Thanks!
    They are all awesome!

My personal favorite is the Pioneer loop. There is an initial climb up bensons grade, then some tight twisty single track, followed by a FAST fun flowing decent. The decent on Pioneer is my drug, and my favorite trail, maybe ever. Of course it may be because I know it so well.

The Blue loop, or Marquette Mountain loop is a blast as well. It's got some steep climbs, a lot of technical root/rock gardens. This trail has it all.

The Carp river trail is initially a climb that kicks you out near the top of the Ski hill. There are a lot of the Freeride / DH trails all over the mountain you can take down that are a lot of fun. I'm a fan of Fiddlers creek or Bad Medicine. Once you go down there, you can take the aptly named "Gorgeous" trail. It takes you along the rim (literally, only inches to spare sometimes) of the carp river canyon/gorge. Beautiful views.

The Green/Morgan creek loop is a nice romp through the deep woods. I would personally say this trail is a lot more fun in reverse than it is with its supposed intended direction. Not too technical, and it flows pretty well in some spots.

There are lots of other off shoots and fun side trails like the golf course trail, or the harlow farms connector. Find a local if you can, they know all the best ways to go, but if you can't the loops are all well marked, and I'm sure you'll have a good time.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, sounds like lots of fun - looking forward to the trip!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast