mtbr member
    Aug 2007

O2S gearing help ?

hey hey,

the 17 y/o daughter and i will be rolling the O2S event in marquette this weekend - 29er SS's - never did it before, and we'll be barely making it in time so we're lookin for a little gearing advise. by way of reference i usually roll something like a 32X17 ( or a 16 if it is really fast ) at chequamegon. the daugher is young and so can't do the long race at cheq, but is very experienced and races as a Jr X/expert a lot on her SS and holds her own OK so would probably go with something similar at cheq40 - maybe one easier. . . . . . .

any input on what to expect or what ya think might work, or be a disaster, how the course shapes up SS-wise, etc for O2S would be great. thanx !!

Black Sheep rising
    You may wish to post up on the forum at mmba.org as well. I do seem to recall a similar query on there recently.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    I`ll be rolling 34x18 on a 29er SS. Not gearing to win, just to survive! There are some decent hills to climb but I know plenty of guys/gals who are gearing much bigger than me. You guys doing the soft rock or hard rock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks for that abby. i am just an 48 y/o yayhoo looking to geta good effort in, but will be noplace near the podium. my daughter usually does alight for a 17 y/o female and truth be told she is probably held back mostly due the fact that half her genes come from me. we will doing the hardrock.any further input would be greatly appreciated !!

Down South Yooper
    Most of the extended climbs are on the pavement, the offroad climbs are short enough to gut out or run without losing much time.

I raced 29er SS a few years ago, geared 36-16. Finished the 28 mile in 1:45 for an average speed of a little more than 16 mph. Pretty speedy, non-technical course.

Pick the biggest gear you can turn, I always liked being slightly overgeared for racing, rather than being spun out and losing time.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!