Positively negative
    Mar 2010

North Country Trail and MDOT maps

Coming up in a few weeks to do a bikepacking trip and in researching the route I have come up with a few questions.

First is anyone fimiliar with the North Country Trail? I know you can only ride a few sections but how is the riding?

Also does anyone know if I can get the MDOT bike maps (link below) at a visitor center or something? I know I can order them but don't have the time and think they would be an big help planing my route.

MDOT - View Bicycle Maps

Down South Yooper
    From where to where? I bought a trail atlas that had NCT marked on it, close enough to find them anyway. I've ridden it from just west of kalkaska into SW Traverse, boardman river area. The NCT is pretty well marked and easy to follow in that area.

Might get more Michigan NCT info over at MMBA, I think there are GPS routes posted as well..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    We are quite familiar with the NCT. We are members of its association, hike and do trail maintenance on it here in the UP. Like Plum asks, we have no idea what section you are asking about. None of the sections we’ve hiked on near here are ride-able. This would be in Houghton county and points west.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Sorry. I looking specifially at the section in the Huron-Manistee National Forest, starting at US-10 and going as far north as I can. Final destination is actually the High Country Trail near Vanderbilt.

Also the LMB got me sorted on the maps.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Turns out that the NF was the easy part. MMBA has a pretty good map linked on their page and the MDOT maps will make it easy to get to the state forest, where the trails is fair game as far as I can tell.

Re-supply in the NF may be a little bit of an issue., but it looks like there is a few small road side trips I can get what I need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Did you end up doing this trip? I would be curious for a trip report if so!