mtbr member
    Apr 2007

NIght Riding Southeast Michigan

Hey all,

I just moved to Oakland Co, and I was wondering if there is any place that... "allows" night riding. When I lived in Kalamazoo we used to night ride Al Sabo about once a week. Then when I lived in Grand Haven, I rode at Bass River. I was just wondering if there is any place that won't start having a fit if you break out the night rider and go for a spin.

Also is there anyone out there that night rides, a lot more fun with others.

Thanks,
    Brian Y

tl1
    Bicyclist

There's a thread about it at MMBA.org

The short version of it is that the recreation areas around Oakland County are not "day use only" facilities so do allow night riding but they do lock the park gates at certain times. You can get your car locked in after the gates at the park are closed & locked so park somewhere outside the park and ride your bike in.

http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=67024

O.k. -- here is the skinny.

I've spoken with the DNR regarding night time use of facilities.

It appears at the DNR Rec Areas, the following holds true:

You cannot use "day use" facilities between 10pm and 8am. The good news is, I am told that the trails we ride are NOT considered day use facilities. The bad news is that parking lots, mowed areas, infrastructure areas such as bathrooms, picnic areas, etc. ARE considered day use facilities.

So, the bottom line appears to be this...

You can ride on the trails between 10am and 8am, but you can't get into the park with your vehicle to "park n' ride" between those hours.

A few caveats...

Although I don't know of any, there may be instances of special "land use restrictions" at some Rec Areas during these hours that could make trails off limits.

Also, undoubtedly, everyone on the DNR Field Staff is not going to give you the same answer on whether trails are open to riding (without parking in DNR facilities) at night. This seems to just be the nature of things.

So, the bottom line is this:

Between 10pm and 8am, "ride in" but don't "park in".

If you encounter DNR Staff telling you that you can't ride on trails between 10pm and 8am, do the following:

1. comply with their request
    2. ask them for their name and duty station (where they are assigned)
    3. contact me with this information and I will look into the matter with the DNR in order to get clarification and official position
    advocacydirector@mmba.org

mtbr member
    Great to find more people in Oakland county that bike. I live up in Rochester and I know that you can get into the Bloomer Park trails off the Clinton River trail(about one mile northeast where the trail passes by downtown Rochester. I've biked on a relatively light trail there as it turned dark and left when it was dark and it was pretty damn fun albeit slow because I didn't have a light at the time. Overall the trails range from extremely easy to very hard(at least for me since I'm still very new to riding) so you'll probably be able to find something you like.

I am honestly not 100% sure if they care or not but as far as I can tell they don't and I know they don't close the Clinton River Trail entrance.

Here's a map if you don't know where it is.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...wloc=addr&om=1
    I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
    -Voltaire

mtbr member
    Continue to check out the MMBA BB for ride information. People post about various rides including night rides. Some are standing weekly rides throughout the year, including winter. www.MMBA.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    On Tuesday's at 6:30pm you can ride Lakeshore Park in Novi with TeamTreeFarm. Fun group that goes to the local bar afterwards. No drop, all levels welcome.

http://www.teamtreefarm.com
    -James

2005 RM Element 50
    2000 Raliegh M80 SS
    2006 Electra Ratrod cruiser

Black Sheep rising
    And also on Wednesdays at Stony Creek. see http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=8806

6:30 with a 6:45 departure from Stony Creek High School. Bring lights!
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just keep an eye on the ride announcements at mmba.org. Island Lake has close parking for night riding. Just use the car pool parking on Grand River and jump on the trail just after the bride on the west side of the road.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Night Riding

There is some great night riding in SE Michigan. A group of us have been riding Tuesday nights at Maybury (Northville) and Thursday nights at Pontiac on a regular basis now. We have had no problems parking in the normal lots, but we have never ridden past 10pm. Island Lake is also good, but I know they close the gates at dark so you need to park outside the park at the Park&Ride. To make it interesting at Maybury we have been riding frontwards and then backwards since it is a pretty short track.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ride Pontiac Lake at night once or twice a week and would be willing to meet up with other riders if you are interested, Brian Y, or anyone else...