mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Newbie seeks advice - which 1

I am looking at a Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29 15small ,a Cannondale F3 Lefty med,& a Cannondale F3 Lefty 29 med , I am 5'6" with a 32" inseam. WHICH ! 1? Please help if you can. Thank You Jeff

mtbr member
    Wow. Had to Google to sort out where Morely was. You had me on that.

Have you tried all three of those bikes? Does one feel obviously more comfortable than the other? That's probably the first thing I'd consider.

At first glance, the Lefty F3 seems to have higher-end components. I'm a bit rushed for time now to look in detail, but the F3 sells for $1600ish, and the Rockhopper Expert for less than $1000. The brakes look better (Avids versus Tektro). The shifters look better (X-7s versus X-5s).

Comfort first though. You don't want to end up with great components on a frame that doesn't feel right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have ridden them in parking lots at LBS's have more stand over clearence on R.H. 29 sm., am closer onF3 26, and nearly touching on F3 29, I have a new 2010 C-Dale Synapse Carbon 6 w/ 90 mi. The C-Dale dealer will trade my bike + 300.00 cash OTD. for either F3 . I need to sell the Synapse to buy the R.H.29 for 875.00+tax cash. I know the F3 is a higher end bike . What my ? is. Will the standover clearence really be enough of an issue? Opinion? Thank You Jeff

mtbr member
    I don't put a huge priority on standover clearance these days. I do like to have some, but I worry about top-tube length first.

One thing I'll point out is that frame size affects seat-to-bar drop. Does your dealer have those F3s in both small and medium? Try one of each. Raise the seat to your riding height on each. You should find that the seat is higher relative to the bar on the smaller frame size. I like my bars about level w/my seat, but everyone has different preferences.

Another thing to try is to stand over the bike and then turn it around. I used to have a bike that was annoyingly hard to u-turn in place with because the standover was so tight. OTOH, that was one of my favorite bikes until I damaged the frame one day.

Are you able to try one of those F3s in a small? It'd be worth doing that, just to get a feel for whether you like the small or medium better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    C-Dale does not make a small in the F3. What is your opinion on the difference of and which deal do you think is better for me. Thanks Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff2slash
    C-Dale does not make a small in the F3. What is your opinion on the difference of and which deal do you think is better for me. Thanks Jeff
    Jeff, all I've got is what I've posted. You're the one riding the bike. In the end, you have to make the call.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thank You I will pick up my new Cannondale F3 tomorrow. Jeff