mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New to MTBing in lansing area

I want to get into MTBing now that summer is around the corner.

I wish I had gotten into it at the previous places I lived:

southern cali = had canyons, deserts, large rock formations ... irvine area had awesome biking

northern cali = sierras.. nuff said

alaska = mightve been a bit much for me ;D

I'm currently looking into two bikes: Thinkin about Giant XTC 29er 2

Would people scoff at me if I came in with a motobecane? (would love feedback as well) Those components look pretty beast. Would it be overkill for the terrain? It's just wooded areas around here.. no big hills/mountains.

Is there anyone around me? Would love to hang out

I'd rather be on my bike
    Two local official trails, Anderson Park, and Burchfield. Rose Lake can be ridden, but it is not considered to be an official trail.

Most people here will tell you that a hardtail will do you fine. I personally have two full suspension bikes due to my back not liking a hardtail. Is the Motobecane on BikesDirect? If so, if you can size yourself, and you like it, get it. You see all types of bikes out here. Full rigid hardtail all the way to full suspension 29ers, and everything in between. A friend of mine has a single speed Trek 69er that he rides. It's really a hodge podge here.

I am local, and ride Burchfield mainly. Anderson, if you haven't been there, is a smaller but technical trail. It's very packed in, with a lot of sharp turns, and not many places to build up a lot of speed. Burchfield is more spread out, and offers everything from beginner to advanced trails within. There are several stunts out there, and you can easily get a 15 mile ride in never riding the same part of the trail twice.

Hit me up, and we can try to meet up at Burchfield, especially if you want someone to show you around if you haven't been there yet.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Im not too far out of Lansing - just starting to get into trail riding so....looking to meet some folks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    im still gettin my fitness level up but if you ever want to go riding sometime coradoore, i'm down.

after a couple more rides, i think ill take you up on the offer for burchfield, tenspeed

I'd rather be on my bike
    No need to wait. The trail is in perfect condition. I am always down to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hey guys,

I've lived in Lansing my whole life, but just got into MTB last year. I went out to Burchfield a couple weekends ago and it was pretty fun. 95% of the time though, I'm cruising the river trail, which I really enjoy.

Anyways, I wanted to revive this thread to say that if anyone wants to meet up sometime soon, to either ride around Burchfield or anywhere else, shoot me a PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ill probably take you guys up on it next weekend maybe?

ive been biking to work at MSU a couple times... it's about 8 miles each way. My legs feel like jelly after getting home from work though haha.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by teylix View Post
    ill probably take you guys up on it next weekend maybe?

ive been biking to work at MSU a couple times... it's about 8 miles each way. My legs feel like jelly after getting home from work though haha.
    You take the river trail to work? That's my normal "get a quick ride in" route. I live in Old Town, so I just hop on right there, ride up and around MSU, then back. It's about a 17 mile round trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    yup im up by waverly/willow. so i go through old town onto river trail and take kalamazoo.

T.W.O
    Tenspeed and I are often out at burchfield in the mornings around 10am probably 3 days a week. My bike is in the shop and will be done Wed and I would be happy to meet out there sometime. There is also a Monday night ride (I believe?). If you haven't already register on MMBA.org (Michigan organization with trail info for everything around and lots of people with input) and go in the MMMBA section of the forum and there are tons of locals besides us that would meet out there.

-Patrick
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)