mtbr member
    Aug 2007

New to MTB in Highland, MI

Hi all,

I'm new to the sport (but many years in other kinds of biking). I live in Highland near M-59 and Milford Rd, so I'm about 10 minutes from Kensington and close to some other parks too.

How are the trails at Kensington? Are there any other beginner to moderate trails I should try?

What about a reputable LBS? I have narrowed my choices down to two (Giant Trance 2 vs. Specialized FSR XC Pro) and can't seem to find many stores without driving down to Novi, Northville, etc. Any recommendation on which bike to get? If it matters, I'm about 5'11" and 185 lbs. Transitioning from marathon running to biking, I'm tired of running and need something different/more exciting.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Go to mmba.org and look at the trail guide. Island Lake is a good start for a beginner and it is connected to Kensington.

Have fun!

Jeff

mtbr member
    The Potowatami near Dexter is some of the best single track in the state......Also check out Wheels in Motion in Ann Arbor, in my opinion best bikeshop in SE MI. I'd buy a Kona XC bike, Wheels in Motion will be discounting their 2007's any day now (if they haven't already)..

Good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

backyard

Dude,

The highland rec area is in your back yard! Take 59 to duck lake road south to livingston road - hang a right and then you'll see the trailhead about 100 yds. down the road on your right.

There are 4 loops. You have to do the A loop to get to the other loops. If you are a beginner, shoot for doing A + B for a good ride. Highland is a very technical trail. It offers log crossings, rock garden crossings, and some good climbing. there are just a few sections where you can open it up somewhat.

After Poto, it's my favorite trail!

WQ

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Been riding Highland!

I discovered Highland Rec shortly after making the OP. As it turns out I can ride my bike there by heading east on Livingston Rd (I live close to the Milford and Livingston Rd intersection).

So far I've been there 4 times and have only done the A trail each time which takes me about a half hour. Someone there told me that B is much more difficult and as a beginner I had my hands full with just A. Next time out (hopefully tonight) I'm going to try A+B.

So far I've ridden Stoney Creek, Island Lake, and Highland, and I like Highland the best by far.

Thanks
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ihsolutions
    I discovered Highland Rec shortly after making the OP. As it turns out I can ride my bike there by heading east on Livingston Rd (I live close to the Milford and Livingston Rd intersection).

So far I've been there 4 times and have only done the A trail each time which takes me about a half hour. Someone there told me that B is much more difficult and as a beginner I had my hands full with just A. Next time out (hopefully tonight) I'm going to try A+B.

So far I've ridden Stoney Creek, Island Lake, and Highland, and I like Highland the best by far.

Thanks
    Jeff
    You need to check out the poto! I'm a freerider and the poto is the only xc trail that motivates me to pedal up-hill. It's beautiful back there, plus the riding is top-notch

crashes alot
    Jul 2007
    +1 for poto, even though i like Pontiac lake more. But if u like climbs, poto is for you!