Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

New to Michigan ~Detroit~

At the end of June I will be relocating to the Detroit area, more specifically, Rochester HIlls/Shelby Township area. I have heard of a couple local places to ride but would like to know from anyone in the area, or that has knowledge of the area, what are good trails to ride. Thanks in advance.

Eric

DynoDon
    Here ya go, click on trail guide, there are plenty of good trails around thanks to the MMBA, welcome to the Michigan,, Happy Trails

http://www.mmba.org/

mtbr member
    You're moving to a nice trail area. Plus many more within 30 -to 60 minutes from there.
    You can hit trails on your bike from those areas.
    Favs within 0-25 mins of Rochester: Stony Creek, Bloomer, Addison Oaks, Bald Mountain, LOHS, Pontiac Lake.
    25-60 mins: Holdridge, Tree Farm, Torn Shirt/Murray Lake, Island Lake, Hickory Glenn, Mayburry, Highland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Favs within 0-25 mins of Rochester: Stony Creek, Bloomer, Addison Oaks, Bald Mountain, LOHS, Pontiac Lake.
    25-60 mins: Holdridge, Tree Farm, Torn Shirt/Murray Lake, Island Lake, Hickory Glenn, Mayburry, Highland.
    i have ridden all of these many times (with one or two exceptions) being in the area and thats good advice. if i had to pick the best 2 detroit area trails highland and potowatami are the easy choices. pontiac lake and holdridge would probably be on my next level down.

I should be studying...
    I'll agree for the most part with this. SE Michigan has lots of great single track.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Welcome to Michigan. We have a shitty economy, even shittier weather, and two of the most dangerous cities in World (Flint and Detroit)... but we also have the MMBA, and a plethora of excellent single-track mountain bike trails, a lot of them just outside of Metro Detroit.

It's all about the FSR!
    Personally have ridden Island Lake 4 times, and Tree Farm (Lakeshore Park) 1 time, and both are very cool trails. Like mentioned above, check out the MMBA site and join the forum.

Love,peace and baby geese
    Sep 2008
    You should try to ride Fort Custer this summer. It`s really nice. It is located near Battle Creek(another crap hole in Michigan).It`s a really nice place to camp also.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities.
    Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    May 2011
    maybury is pretty cool, I think island lake is longer....I think

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    You're moving to a nice trail area. Plus many more within 30 -to 60 minutes from there.
    You can hit trails on your bike from those areas.
    well maybe going to school in metro detroit isn't quite so bad after all! thanks for the list

DynoDon
    A few high schools have mountain bike teams, Lake Orion High School has their own trail/team, and they broom it in the winter with a tractor, this is not just a trail its a awesome trail. It also has trails attaching to both Bald mountain trails, and Addison Oaks is just down a dirt road. There are many trails in that area, Stoney Creek and Bloomer are within riding distance so if you want to do 100+ miles in a day its possible, without getting off your bike. Brighton is starting a team this year too. Brighton has some of the best trails in that area too, they won't need their own trail. Murry Lake/Torn Shirt, Island Lake, Milford, Hicory Glen, Lakeshore, Potawami, Maybury, Highland all very close to Brighton.
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah i actually go to lawrence tech in southfield so brighton and milford aren't too far

It's all about the FSR!
    Brighton - aka Murray Lake/Torn Shirt are pretty sweet trails. I especially like Murray Lake now that I have ridden it a few times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    awesome to hear, i'll definitely have to check it out sometime.

"one of the mudfreaks"
    Hello, are there also some downhill tracks arround Detroit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'd say your best bet is to hit up the clinton river trail/bloomer park area. In the back area of bloomer park is just basically a long treeline of brush, but there are trails back there. Basically 500ft behind the velodrome the ground starts to drop off, lots of trails back there.

Hoopy Frod
    Jun 2009
    Not much downhill around Detroit.

If you meet some of the Ann Arbor freeriders, they may show you some spots there.

Mostly you get some short chutes or sections of XC trail you can session.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Fort Custer

Try this place over by Kalamazoo....Nice day trip...Awesome trails

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    way late, but check this thread
    MI google map of trails
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm from Port Huron so I have to drive about an hour to get to any of these trails but Ive been to River Bends, Stony Creek, and Bloomer Park and the great thing about the area is that you get a good variety of different terrain and courses.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I used to race dh in Utah. I have yet to find any good dh trails or jumps in the
    Detroit Area.

Hard Tail
    You will want to make a weekend trip to Potowatami Trail in Pinckney, its by far the best trail around here IMHO

k^2
    Flamingo
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spongeracer View Post
    I used to race dh in Utah. I have yet to find any good dh trails or jumps in the
    Detroit Area.
    I am afraid you better start liking XC as you will not find any DH riding in Michgan, except may be few skiing areas. The best downhill in Michigan has been the economy.

DynoDon
    where are you coming from , what do you want, expect to ride, They are all good it just depends on your skill level, what you think is good/bad. Do you want to race, trial ride, take the kids out, many options.
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    I'm also in Rochester Hills. I ride Bloomer park, Stoney Creek, Addison Oaks, and Kennsington.

Let me know if you wanna meet up and ride. I'll ride xc, or freeride.
    2004 Foes Mono
    2009 Santa Cruz Heckler
    1999 Klein Mantra Comp
    1999 Klein Mantra Comp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast