mtbr member
    Aug 2008

NCT - Multi-Day Epic Ride?

My roommate and I are looking to do an epic ride of about 4 - 5 days in Michigan, staying mostly on trails and occasionally hitting small towns. I guess the question is how much of the North Country Trail in Michigan is MB friendly, and is enough of it connected together to make a multi-day, backpacking trip possible.

Was thinking about making this a predecessor to doing the Kokopelli trail from Fruita, CO to Moab, UT next year.

Would like to get 120-150 miles in within those 4-5 days.

mtbr member

NCT in the UP

Hellfaucet...I live in Marquette, and can tell you that the NCT has a fair amount of distance and developpment to it (at leat in Marquette County). You could easily get a 3 day trip in on the NCT. You would start from Marquette and head north and west towards Houghton, eh.

If you were to push for five days, you would most certainly encounter some obscure "connecting" sections. Things might get a little ahiry because you'd be relying on literally a maze of two track logging and camp roads to "put the pieces together".

Backpacking wouldbe advised as opposed to MTB riding. the riding on the trail is slow and technical...and I'm not even sure we are "allowed" to use the trail for riding.

Good luck!

Tour guide, Trainer
    Are thinking of the high country pathway, in northern lower michigan. This is an 80 mile loop of single track, that takes most 3 days to complete. It is very demanding and can be extremely technical riding.
    You can find more information here: http://mmba.org/trails.php?trail=50.
    There are also threads dedicated to the HCP in the forums on the mmba.org.

The difficulty with this trail also comes from camping in different locations nightly, there is alot of logistics involved in moving, and setting up camp daily.

I am working on 3 or 4 day camping tours to this location for the 2009 riding season with my company knobbytiretours.com . An HCP tour with me will offer my services not only for the trail (which can be hard to navigate) but also for camp setup, breakdown, and daily lunch setup in between riding.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by knobbytiretours; 11-21-2008 at 02:17 PM.

dolce
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hellfaucet
    My roommate and I are looking to do an epic ride of about 4 - 5 days in Michigan, staying mostly on trails and occasionally hitting small towns. I guess the question is how much of the North Country Trail in Michigan is MB friendly, and is enough of it connected together to make a multi-day, backpacking trip possible.

Was thinking about making this a predecessor to doing the Kokopelli trail from Fruita, CO to Moab, UT next year.

Would like to get 120-150 miles in within those 4-5 days.
    Most of the NCT is open to mtb in the Huron Manistee NF. Unless posted otherwise, the NCT is open to MTB in MI state forests. With some dirt road link ups, it's 100+ going North from M-10 to old us 131 campground north of Cadillac. Double that if you turn back around and head south back to M-10. Might be around 80% singletrack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The North Country Trail in the lower peninsula is exactly what you're looking for. From M-20, west of Big Rapids, up to Mackinaw City there is approximately 300 miles of bike-friendly trail. There is only one small section just east of the city of Manistee that is closed to bikes, and this is easily bypassed with nice dirt roads. I have done a lot of overnighters on various parts of the trail, and I highly recommend checking it out. Google North Country Trail and you'll find their site has great maps you can order, I'd post the link but I'm not that fancy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

NCT Epic

hellfaucet,

There are a few of us Michigan from who will be posting information on a 3-5 day 320 mile version in the northern LP of Michigan. I will post more after returning to MI later next week. Or you can PM me for more info. Tenatively scheduled for the weekend after Memorial weekend.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

NCT Epic

Link for more info on this topic:

http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=88795

Jeff