Thread: NC to the U.P.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

NC to the U.P.

I'm planning out a biking/swimming/disc golf/camping trip starting in Ludington and heading up the west coast to the U.P. I was originally thinking about a loaded tour until I read all the stuff about mountain biking in Keweenaw. Now I'm leaning toward bringing my mtb and touring bike.
    Wondering about insect situation later this month and whether MI state forests allow free camping outside designated camping areas. Also is water temp in Superior colder than Lake michigan ?

Thanks !

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Insect usually aren't to bad from what I can remember. superior is always colder but refreshing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    As far as the camping situation I'm not really sure. We usually stay at the Pines in a cabin or at the State park a mile from town. The riding is amazing and their is a very friendly vibe in town. Bring your touring bike and ride a loop out 41 and around through eagle harbor back to Copper Harbor. It's a beautiful area, enjoy yourself.

Jason

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Consider bike-packng the North Country Trail. I embarked on a trip from Custer to Vanderbilt a few weeks ago and made it to Mesick before my knee and neck gave out on me. Good riding for sure. I plan on coming back next year to try again.