mtbr member
    Aug 2009

moving BACK to Mi

Hello all. I moved to Az almost a year ago. Huge mistake. One good thing has come from it, I am getting back into shape, and really loving the mountain biking in the mountains! I used to ride a little back in high school some. The only place I rode was at Ionia State rec area. After reading here it seems there are a LOT more trails around then I ever realized. The only thing is it seems they are all pretty short. I am riding 15-25 mile rides most the time here with well over 1000' of climbing on each ride. From what I have read most trails there are only around 12 miles long. Are there some longer trails, or will I be doing multiple laps of most trails? Either way I will be happy to be back in Mi with some nice weather, clean air, and some rain once and a wile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Where are you moving to? fort custer in Battle Creek has 28 miles of trailes i think, very nice place to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I will be in the GR area. I have gotten used to driving a LOT out here, partly for work, party for biking, and partly cause I got VW golf TDI that gets 50mpg, so I don't mind driving a LOT. For weekend day trips I will be willing to drive 1-2 hours for good rides. I also hope to take over night trips to the UP or places IN OH or other neighboring state/countries.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You should be less than an hour from fort custer, and just a short drive to yankee springs south of GR, yankee springs has 12 miles of good trails, it would be cool to go to the u.p. for a mnt bike trip, and it sounds like you have the right vehicle for it.

mtbr member
    There are plenty of decent trails within an hours drive of GR. The North Country Trail system and a few other trails are about two hours away to the north and there are plenty other trails near the Detroit area that are approx. a three hours drive. LOTS of options.

mtbr member
    To answer one of your original questions, yes, most trails in the southern Michigan area are around 12 miles or less. The exceptions already noted include Ft. Cuter with multiple trails to make the longer mileage, and Yankee Springs if you add the short warm-up loop. The Poto near Ann Arbor is around 17-18 miles. A couple of hours north is Big M, home to the Lumberjack 100 and contains numerous singletrack and XC ski trails that can be combined to make loops exceeding 30 miles. Plus that is right where the North Country Trail goes through, home to some epic riding.

Over near Detroit it is not uncommon for rides that will take in numerous trails in close vicinity to one another, linking them through back roads and rail trails. These rides may be 50-75 miles or more in length.

mtbr member
    If you have not already signed up or visited our forum here is the link
    http://mmba.org/

there is a full description of our trail system there...
    Welcome Home
    Looking at the cake is like looking at the future, until you have tasted it what do you really know? and then its too late.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The "Tri-fecta" is about 46 miles, only about a 20 mile drive from the GR Area -- Luton Park, Cannonsburg SGA, and Cannonsburg Ski Hill.

mtbr member
    Hey Rockyrunner, I'm moving to MI from Az to...When are you moving? My wife & I are having a baby girl & she has tons of family in the GR area...I was just there last week & rode the tri-fecta that 97mach1 is talking about, it was pretty cool, rode a sweet 29'r that freewheeler's rented me. Man you should let me know when your going maybe we could hook up & explore some of the trails together...I'm gonna be moving Sept/Nov maybe sooner...talk to ya soon Kenny B

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am not sure when I am moving. I am waiting for a transfer. My employer said has approved my transfer over 2 mo ago, and am supposedly waiting for an opening. The HR manager said there was an opening, and we were just waiting for the final paperwork. That was also 2 months ago. So, I guess I am not even sure IF I am moving at this point. I am getting pretty impatient, it is 105 out right now and still climbing. I have to drive 2 hours north to get to cool enough weather to try biking. If I do get back to Mi before you leave. I would be happy to go riding. Where are you moving to in Az? If I am still out here, I can show you some rides. I live just north of Phoenix work in Prescott valley and do most of my riding in Prescott. It is MUCH cooler there.

Hey, I misread your post... I thought you were moving to AZ from MI. Anyway, where are you in AZ now?
    Last edited by rockyrunner99; 06-23-2010 at 04:18 PM.

mtbr member
    I live in Tempe...right near papago park...i ride there alot since it's pretty much my backyard...whenever you wana ride just let me know...480-298-1311 Kenny B

mtbr member
    Hey man I'm gonna be headng up to Sunrise to do some riding if your down let me know
    Kenny B

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Do they have any cross country type riding or just downhill stuff. When were you thinking?

mtbr member
    To be honest, I dont know...I just hear everybody saying good stuff about it...I plan on going to Black Canyon on Wends...If you never been there then you are in for a treat...some of the coolest single track around...gimme a call & we can fiquire it out
    480-298-1311 Kenny B

Braaaapp!
    I thought people were only leaving Michigan, not moving back.

Left Tucson about 10 months ago for crap-tastic Texarkana (it's not that bad, but definitely isn't our place).
    Movers are coming today, tomorrow we hit the road for our triumphant return to Michigan!
    "It was like a German, techno-weird, acid trip." - The Hoff -

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just got word today my I got a job in GR. I should be back in Mi within 3 weeks! I will be looking for some people to ride with after I get settled. I think I am getting in some pretty good shape now. I did a 22 mile ride or so today with 1500 net elevation gain and felt great!

Also I am looking for a place to stay for anywhere from a month or so to a year and half or so while we buy or build a house. We have two dogs and I would like a garage, but still cheap (600-800). If you have any suggestions. I would prefer east side of GR. anywhere from Kentwood to Saranac/Clarksville area.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99
    Just got word today my I got a job in GR. I should be back in Mi within 3 weeks! I will be looking for some people to ride with after I get settled. I think I am getting in some pretty good shape now. I did a 22 mile ride or so today with 1500 net elevation gain and felt great!

Also I am looking for a place to stay for anywhere from a month or so to a year and half or so while we buy or build a house. We have two dogs and I would like a garage, but still cheap (600-800). If you have any suggestions. I would prefer east side of GR. anywhere from Kentwood to Saranac/Clarksville area.
    For group rides trail guide and general Michigan Mountain biking chat.

http://www.mmba.org/

DynoDon

Rated #30 on the Singletracks site Worldwide in Hell, Mi

is the Potawami it's main loop is 18 miles long, the inside loop is about 6 miles, so 24, it won't have the elivation you find in AZ but there are alot of things the Poto offers you won't find in AZ, there are many lakes and streams you can cool off in, roots, and challenges of all types, this is called and intermediate trail, many don' t see it that way, expert is more like it, the roots, rocks, washes, sand, gravel, rocks, climbs that aren't long, but steep with roots, rocks, gravel and sand that make you wish there was an elevator to the top, some flats, some nice downhills but the washes, sand and roots are there too, wear your walking shoes you may not make it up many of these climbs..this trail was built over 50 yrs ago as a hiking trail by the boy scouts so it's not a real mountian bike trail, but challenging none the less.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hello everybody,

I too moved away (not to Arizona, but to Washington, DC) and am most likely moving back in June. I've been riding XC since I was in high school (in Northville, MI), but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about downhill or freeride parks within 3-4 hours of Ann Arbor (including Indiana/Ohio). I know Boyne has a few, but are there any closer? Thanks for the help and I'm pumped to get back to Michigan.

-Greg

mtbr member
    You will more then likely get a better idea over on mmba.org under the free ride thread. The best one I know of is in the U.P. As for Northville Maybury is still a great trail. Check out Brown County state park and Moheican in Ohio for some great xc. Welcome back to MI
    Looking at the cake is like looking at the future, until you have tasted it what do you really know? and then its too late.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The best riding in Michigan, in my opinion, is in the Marquette and Copper Harbor areas. Well worth the drive. I live out in Utah now and all those trails rival the best that Utah has to offer; ie Moab, PC, and Hurricane areas.

There's something about the mtb culture in Michigan that I can't quite put my finger on that the west lacks. I look forward to moving back in time.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by madnessmoose
    The best riding in Michigan, in my opinion, is in the .... and Copper Harbor areas. Well worth the drive.
    +1

Camping up there is simply splendid. I've traversed nearly the entire saltwater shoreline of this country and every mile of the Michigan shoreline. I am still convinced that the Lake Superior shoreline along Northern U.P. is the most beautiful in the country. And there are many spots you can only get to on a bike . . . . make sure you get up there.

mtbr member
    I learned how to ride in Houghton and Copper Harbor, both of which have fantastic trails and are always seeing new additions. In the Lower Peninsula, my favorite trails are in Oakland County. :-)

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    I left MI (Muskegon) in '86 and never looked back. I've been in San Diego except for a couple years stationed in Jacksonville, FL. I, for one, ain't goin back. I do sympathize with you guys that ended up in AZ. It's beautiful and the trails look great but I melt when I'm there visiting family...