mtbr member

Mountain Bike Mayhem in Michigan

Hi everyone.
    I am on my way to Michigan (arrive on the 14th) to start my 2010 Mountain Bike Trails USA Tour [ www.mountainbiketrailsusa.com ], just like I did last year ( Mountain Bike Mayhem Tour) I would like to ask the local chapter, and everyone else that has done the Michigan Trails to post their TOP 5 Trails of this area. Also any advice on the best place(s) to use as a base to ride the best trails... I have no set route or time schedule, so I can move around and base myself in various places.
    So, put Michigan on the Mtb map and post your Top 5 Michigan Trails
    I would appreciate any and all advice.

I am also looking for advice on the area's "Best Bike Shop(s)"

Thanks in advance everyone.

Ride Safe!

Rip3d

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Where in Michigan are you going to start? I can load you up with a bunch of trails in the southeast that you'll have to check out. I would also venture up to Marquette, and out to the west to Fort Custer.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply Metalray..
    I am open to any and all suggestions on where to start ( best town to use as a base), and which trails to do.. and I can move around if needed, I will be touring around the USA for at least a year, so I'm not pressed for time either..
    I do have numerous books and access to various "Trails" websites, but there is no better info than from people who have actually done the trails.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well, being that I live outside of Detroit I'd suggest you start in SE Michigan because that's the area I know best. Just to name a few..Pontiac Lake(One of the best all around trails in the area), Lakshore Park(Novi), Bald Mtn., Hickory Glen, Island Lake, Maybury State Park, Stoney Creek. I'm forgetting a few, but there is quite a bit of good riding to be done in the area. Check out mmba.org for some trail "info", I only say that because aside from addresses and directions there isn't really any good trail info. As for a base...I'm really not sure, are you looking to camp? stay at a hotel? Shoot me an email when you get a chance, I'd love to hit up the trails with ya for mtnbkmayhem! raydomz@gmail.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    North Country Trail.
    Merrilla Road by Mesick,Mi.
    and my fav Udell Hills by Wellston,Mi.
    As long as your by Udell you may as well do Big M which is just a few
    miles away.
    Have fun
    LS

mtbr member

Big M - Wellston MI

I second the Big M Trails, Wellston MI, home of the Lumberjack 100

http://www.skibigm.org/Directions.html

I live just west of Chicago but go there 3-4 times a year to visit the in laws, for lodging if you want to stay in town check out http://www.schmidtoutfitters.com/ however you may want to stay in Manistee as they have actual food & stuff, Wellston lacks a bit in the good eats catagory.

Good times and great time of year to visit.

For some non bike activities and would recomend checking out Pine River Paddlesports
    http://www.thepineriver.com/ for some kayaking.

Enjoy your trip!

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the info and links, I will add it all to my research and come up with the best possibilities..
    Can anyone recommend (a) good bike shop(s), preferably near some of the trails
    Am now in Elkhart IN... hoping the weather is gonna be better in Michigan.. here the skies opened up today

Thanks Again..

Retired User

mtbr member
    May 2007
    McLains in Cadillac and Traverse City do an honest good job.
    LS

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Though the trails in lower Michigan are nice. Don't rule out the trails above the bridge. The Copper harbor trails are top notch and it is unbelievable the amount of work that went into these trails. Michigan Tech trails, Swede town, and the South trails in Marquette too. If you show up on a Wed., try the ride on the west end at Jasper Ridge. In general, all these trails offer some good techincal riding.

Steve

mtbr member
    @ LS, Thanks for shop recommendation, I will be in that area so will pop in.

@ Steve, kudos for the trail info, that area seems very interesting would Marquette be a good place to use as a base? or would I need to base myself in more than one place

Thanks again everyone..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Can't do SE MI without riding Poto once- one of the best and earliest trails in the area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You could use Marquette as a base for the Marquette's South Trails and the West end trails (or Ishpening). The Ishening trails are not mapped though they are working on it. You either need to do the Wed. night ride which is highly recommended or need a guide. You can also hit Bruno's run from here though it is an hour drive east. Michigan Tech. and Swede Town are in the Keweenaw 2-2.5 hrs from here and Copper Harbor is at the tip at about 3 ish hrs. The Tech and Swede trails are right on the way to Copper Harbor. We usually hit one of them on the way to Copper Harbor. Then spend the next full day at C.H. then hit the other on the way back the next day. We have done it all in an overnighter but found it more enjoyable to spend 2 nights.

There are several bike shops in Marquette. Lake Shore Bike will hook you up. In C.H, Keweenaw Adventure.
    Last edited by Stevebiker; 06-13-2010 at 05:44 PM.

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by metalray
    Well, being that I live outside of Detroit I'd suggest you start in SE Michigan because that's the area I know best. Just to name a few..Pontiac Lake(One of the best all around trails in the area), Lakshore Park(Novi), Bald Mtn., Hickory Glen, Island Lake, Maybury State Park, Stoney Creek. I'm forgetting a few, but there is quite a bit of good riding to be done in the area. Check out mmba.org for some trail "info", I only say that because aside from addresses and directions there isn't really any good trail info. As for a base...I'm really not sure, are you looking to camp? stay at a hotel? Shoot me an email when you get a chance, I'd love to hit up the trails with ya for mtnbkmayhem! raydomz@gmail.com

Highland Rec. would also be a great one to vist. One of the most technical in MI.