mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Michigan Tech Trails

looking to drive up from metro detroit to spend a whole weekend to ride the trails up there, any tips on how to find our way around the trail (aka not get lost) or what we should bring (full face? pads?)

also, what kind of riding should i expect

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I rode the MTU trails for the first time this spring. They were well marked and lots of fun. The guys at Cross Country Sports in Houghton can recommend a route for you based on what you want to ride. The trails are cross country with some elevated skinnies and other stunts. They also have big dirt jumps if that is your thing. The time trial loop was fun. You could ride around the technical stuff if you want. Check this video from a helmet cam. http://www.techtube.mtu.edu/watch.php?v=414

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    The tech trails are really good signage so you shouldn't get to lost, I wouldn't worry about bringing a full face and pads though. Basically you just wanna make sure you stay on the single track cause there's a lot of xc skiing trails here to and thats just boring riding. While your up here you should definitely go out to copper harbor, the trails up there are pretty much ridiculous and are well worth the hour and a half drive from houghton.

check out this link for trail maps and different areas to ride up here http://www.keweenawtrails.com/mountain.html

and you should expect the awesome kind of riding.

Also, the dirt jumps are really tore up right now so don't be expecting to ride them. (the line is getting completely changed up now)
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    There are some new trails at Tech that are probably not on the trail maps, but you probably can find someone who can show you where they are. The new trails are a little soft but very fun to ride. Ditto on a side trip up to copper Harbor, also well signed.