mtbr member
    Aug 2011

MIchigan specific tire suggestions?

Looking for some new tires and figured I'd post this in the Mich specific forum.

ALL the trails I ride are in Michigan and 99% are S/e lower, Island Lake, Hewens Creek, Lakshore etc so you all know the terrain/surface/trail make up etc. Looking for great all around tires (arent we all, LMAO)

Bike is a 2012 Spesh Hardrock 29er sport disc that currently has the stock Fast tracks front and rear. The tires are less that great on all but the best hard pack, lol

As of right now I am running tubed but will likley switch to tubless over the next year (just got back into it after over a decade away, so I am baby stepping with new stuff lol).

Got the rear pretty much narrowed down to a Schwable Hans Dampf or a Maxxis Ignitor, but more that willing to hear suggestions for the rear too, especially for high volume tires since my bike is a hardtail and I am not small (see below) lol.

Front I am pretty open to suggestions. I'm a bigger rider (6'0 210lbs) so i tend to get alittle squirelly with my momentum in loose corners, so I want somthing that wont wash out to terrible easy.

Looks like I could fit pretty much anything up a 2.75-3.0inch wide tire upfront and the rear looks like I can fit about a 2.5inch wide.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice,
    J-

HTFU and Ride
    I run an Ardent 2.4 in the front and Mountain King 2.4 in the rear on my 29er. Really depends on where you ride, I have found these to be great in all conditions. Sand is always a problem in West MI so fat 29er tires are always a nice bonus.

MMBA.org might have more for you. This forum is far slower for regional stuff.
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjon View Post
    I run an Ardent 2.4 in the front and Mountain King 2.4 in the rear on my 29er. Really depends on where you ride, I have found these to be great in all conditions. Sand is always a problem in West MI so fat 29er tires are always a nice bonus.

MMBA.org might have more for you. This forum is far slower for regional stuff.
    Copy thanks, already posted this at mmba.org too.

J-

DynoDon
    Schwalbe Rocket Rons they work in everything I've hit in Michigan, light, fast, they hook up, whats not to like??? a bit expensive but you get what you pay for.. Happy Trails
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker View Post
    Schwalbe Rocket Rons they work in everything I've hit in Michigan, light, fast, they hook up, whats not to like??? a bit expensive but you get what you pay for.. Happy Trails
    thanks I have heard that more than once ref the RR's and Schwables in general.

J-

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    In my experience, usually riding gravel and single track in central mich, bontrager xr3's work pretty well. I got a pair of take-offs from a local bike shop and so far after a few hundred miles couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    I was thinking about switching to ignitors as well. Any input on those? How do they handle fairly technical rocky stuff?
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

Too easily annoyed.
    I found the Ignitor 29 to be one of the most predictable, best gripping tires I've ever ridden. One of the few tires I feel confident on riding over wet rocks, and roots.

They are great for the different variety of surfaces you get here in Michigan. I had them mounted on the fairly wide Velocity Blunts, which gave them a nice profile. Long lasting tire.

Rocket Rons are lighter, and feel fast as well. If you ride a lot, you will wear through these sooner. Expensive. You must pay attention when trails are wet, slippery (like they are now).

Maybe try the larger 2.4 Ardent or Hans Dampf on the front, and Ignitor on the back.

Pay close attention to your tire pressure ... at 210 you could drop down to approx 30 lbs of air. Lowering my tire pressure was one of the best things to ever happen to my riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    In early spring or fall type weather I use Racing Ralph 2.4 front and S-works renegade 1.9 rear. Summer I run a RR 2.2 and the S-works renegade. I have a Maxxis Ikon 2.2 waiting for next summer for the rear. Lighter than the Renegade and more contact patch.

As Morgan said, tire pressure is key also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    finally pulled the trigger today. Figured I just needed to get some tires and try them out.

Ran over to Tree Fort Bikes (one of the best shops I have ever been too, great selection and service).

Picked up and mounted a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 for the front and a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 for the rear, Mounted up rear easy (took about 5 minutes to remove and mount the tires).

Hopefully get to try em out this weekend.

Thanks to all that looked, helped and make suggestions.

J-

mtbr member
    Fall/Spring: Bontrager 29-3 front 2.25, Special Ed The Captain 2.0 in the rear

Summer: Racing Ralphs 2.25 F/R

Checkout Mayburry most underrated trail in SE Michigan

Im 6ft 205 w/gear

mtbr member
    Must be good--says Michigan right on the sidewall! (they're in an island history display in the fort on Mackinac Island)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MI29er View Post
    Fall/Spring: Bontrager 29-3 front 2.25, Special Ed The Captain 2.0 in the rear

Summer: Racing Ralphs 2.25 F/R

Checkout Mayburry most underrated trail in SE Michigan

Im 6ft 205 w/gear
    Love Maybury! Just getting back into MTB'g and got my girlfriend to go out with me. Maybury was her first trail and she's doing quite well. I'm kind of on the fence for tires myself. I currently have an old set of Specialized Team Master/Team Control (both 1.95's) on my 97' Schwinn Homegrown Factory. They are still holding up, but I noticed since I increased the pressure in the tires the rear is easily kicked around on the tree roots and rocks.
    I like the look of the WTB Wolverine and found a good price on them. Any thoughts on those?
    Are they more front or rear specific?
    Speaking of Maybury, there is a part where the trail turns to the right and drops into tree roots and some rocks. I noticed that the common path is to the left (as I was graciously walking my bike through, while my girlfriend went down the right side over the rocks and went right by me sighhhh huhh). What is the best way to attack this section? Speed? Jump? Left or Right?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I try to ride the same tire combination in Michigan as I ride out west, so its not a surprise to me when I get climbing and have to turn fatter tires at altitude out west.
    I ride a Maxxis High Roller 2.35 on the front and Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 on the back. I have also used WTB Wolverine 2.1 on the back with good success.
    I ride tubes with about 28-30 psi, seems to hold pretty well in hard pack to sand and mud in Michigan, rocks, logs, waterbars and sand in Moab, Fruita and the Front Range of CO.
    Bikes are GT XC-1.0 and Titus Switchblade

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas486 View Post
    I try to ride the same tire combination in Michigan as I ride out west, so its not a surprise to me when I get climbing and have to turn fatter tires at altitude out west.
    I ride a Maxxis High Roller 2.35 on the front and Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 on the back. I have also used WTB Wolverine 2.1 on the back with good success.
    I ride tubes with about 28-30 psi, seems to hold pretty well in hard pack to sand and mud in Michigan, rocks, logs, waterbars and sand in Moab, Fruita and the Front Range of CO.
    Bikes are GT XC-1.0 and Titus Switchblade
    I have always wanted to try a bigger tire up front, but just never did it? Maybe this year. I want to try the Schwalbe Hans Dampf but the price tag is killer!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ride in the TC area and use the following tire combo's
    Spec capt 29x2.0 in the front and 2.0 fast tracks in the rear
    Maxxis IKON EXO 29x2.2 front and rear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osu1978 View Post
    I ride in the TC area and use the following tire combo's
    Spec capt 29x2.0 in the front and 2.0 fast tracks in the rear
    Maxxis IKON EXO 29x2.2 front and rear

I just switched to an IKON on the back and it's a pretty nice tire. Grippy and fast. How is it on the front? I like to carve corners so good side knobs are important.

mtbr member
    Stock tires on my Rockhopper and Stumpjumpers. The Bontragers were crap. I had to replace them with some Panaracer FireXC pro 2.1s. Inflation is key. Im really pleased with the specialized tires though.
    2012 Fianceť
    2011 Spc SJ Cmp Crbn 29
    2010 Fantom Cross Outlaw
    2009 Spc RH Exprt Disc 29
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7
    2007 Spc RH

I'd rather be on my bike
    Running a popular combo here in Michigan. Kenda Nevegal up front / Kenda Smallblock 8 on the rear. Great for dry conditions. For mud, it is terrible.

mtbr member
    I just made the switch to Ignitors, and I could not be happier. It has grip in just about everything. Mud, sand, loose over hard pack, hard pack ect. Made me so much more confident on the bike in the corners knowing I'm not gonna wash out all the time.

Has more rolling resistance than the Sugarros, but not that much more. A great XC/trail tire. Highly recommended.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I run a Conti RaceKing Supersonic 2.2 on the back and a Conti X-King RaceSport 2.4 up front. Very light, and good for around here. The RaceKing is as terrible in the mud as a Small Block 8, but I rarely have any issues since I avoid muddy days.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Just wondering what y'all would recommend for northern lower, High Country Pathway specifically. I'm planing a bike-packing/touring trip around lake Michigan this summer and wanted to do the pathway, and any other trails you would recommend, along the way.

Chances are I will wind up on a hard pack raceish tire (SB8, Nano, Exi, XR1) to make the pavement and gravel sections that will make up most of the ride easier but may be willing to carry or pick up others if y'all don't think those will cut it.

I'll be riding a rigid 29", and will probably set the tires up tubeless.

Thanks.

HTFU and Ride
    On the HCP I would want something a little bigger and tougher, at least in the front. Tubeless makes swapping a bit of a PITA though.

Ikons front and rear? Bit more bite and still pretty light. A full 2.2 would be welcome compared to a 2.0 IMO.

Sounds like a badass trip though!
    Winter is coming.