mtbr member

Mi tech ride video

OK ride fans. A friend made a 6+ minute video going down a trail at Mi Tech which is just a few blocks from our home. Ya its a 6 minute decent! He didn’t mention this in his description but we’re the tandem that’s sometimes seen leading them. Oh and trail mutt Gromit can be seen following us. This is not a technical ride and you’ll see that it occasionally crosses a XC (cross country) ski trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXgHMpC8jfQ

Please let us know what you think of it.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Awesome vid Arly! I really need to make a trip back up to ride the tech trails. It's been probably a decade since I was last there Looks like the trails have changed quite a bit. It's hard to beat the trails in the Keewanau and Marquette any where else in the midwest.

mtbr member
    Thanks Carb, We of course didnít make it, our friend did, we just posted the link to it. About 7 years ago tech started putting in IMBA trails and today I think they have over 20 miles worth. What did they have there 10 years ago? Some folks have a hard time imagining this but today we have about 150 miles of single track trails in the Keweenaw built but cyclist. Most following IMBA guidelines. When will we see you up to visit us??
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

Braaaapp!
    Man that looks like fun. Trees and dirt instead of cacti and pointy rocks! I haven't been biking up there since probably summer of 03.

Bringing the bike when we come visit this July, but I dunno if there's time for a UP trip . Trying to work it in, but there's already too much to do, and not enough vacation time to do it in!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    thanks for the fix! counting the days 'til I'm up there.

mtbr member
    Nice video. Excellent choice of music.

Methinks I need to carve out a weekend this summer and ride some of those trails. It'd be a good, father/son trip so long as there are some beginner-friendly trails in the system.

mtbr member
    Jonathan, aren’t you just over in Munising?? Gee,, that’s not all that far away. In the immediate area of Hancock, Houghton we have 3 trail systems all with some Green, but mostly Blue, with just a tad of Black trails. This constitutes around 80+ miles* of trails at Mi Tech, Maasto Hiihto, Churning Rapids and Swedetown. We’d call Swedetown the mellower of the three. Head the 40 miles up to Copper H there is another 30+* of trails which we might call more blue-black. All the systems around here are quite different from each other. Mi tech and Swedetown being the best marked, still not perfectly easy to follow around.

At this link is recent a story in Silent Sports about Copper H trails.

http://silentsports.net/content/cycl...owski-5-09.php

* Don’t know the actual mileage of trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arly
    Jonathan, arenít you just over in Munising?? Gee,, thatís not all that far away.
    Yep. I'm just down the road in Munising. Keweenaw is on my radar though. I'll get up there one of these days -- when the mood strikes.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Techs, new trails ride video

A new video from our riding pal Jerry, who's our camera guy in the field. This was taken on Tech trails new section that they added last fall. Plus a comical FDGB 2.5 minutes into it. Not sure what Tech rates these trails as but we'd call them Blue-Black. Gee we made it all. The young fellow Jerry is sometimes following is his 16yo son.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fueFyMTOCP8

Hope you enjoy it. We sure appreciate having these trails just a few blocks from our home. Please let us know if this film give you the feel for riding this new section.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yet another great vid Arly! I think I remember portions of the trail, makes my legs hurt just thinking about it. We used to ride from the SDC up to the school mostly on the ski trails along Sharon...that last portion was always brutal, like 1/4 mile of just plain old rocks. Not much fun with no suspension or the early magnesium rock shocks. We would then run the long downhill from the school all the way down to the golf course. That was on a mix of xc ski trails and single track. I think we ended up riding on some private land for a bit....then start the long climb back up. We didn't have the nice built bridges to cross, we had bridges made of fallen trees made into bridges...always a challenge with a loose log or two. I don't think there was any where close to 20 miles of trail there, but we would just ride a couple of laps to hit some distance. Of course being poor college kids, we would ride to mahsto, swedetown, up to calumet, and all sorts of various other trails (atlantic mine, south range and back through dodgeville). It's awesome that there are so many IMBA trails built there now. I can easily imagine that many miles of trails as I'm sure I've ridden well over that many trails over my time spent there.

Unfortunately, no plans to go up there any time this year. I would imagine we will go next year. We'll be making some trips to marquette to visit my new nephew. So I may get some riding in up there

Keep the vids coming! I'd love to see some of the other trails Mahsto, etc. It gets me motivated to get off my butt and hit the Vasa Single track.

mtbr member

Keweenaw's conversion of trails

About 6 years ago Tech shifted gears and started taking out the bandit trails and replacing them with IMBA ones. Today you don’t have to ride on the XC trails at all which is good, since ski trail aren’t any fun to ride on anyway. They also got some land off the east end of the old ski trails so they now go all the way to the Pilgrim river. This is where our friend took the latest video that we posted. I’d guess that you won’t recognize what they look like today since they’ve been changed so much. When we moved here Swedetown was also riding there XC trails and we’d only do that once a summer since it was so boring. Today they have over 20 miles of single track and we only have to cross the ski trails. This conversion process has occurred at all the trail locations in the Keweenaw. That is, taking out unsustainable black trials and converting them into IMBA type of single track.