Thread: Merrell Trail

Just Ride

Merrell Trail

Anyone know where this trail is? All the video says is West Michigan. Don't think it's officially open yet, but should be by either the end of this year or early next year. From the video it looks like a lot of fun, well worth the drive up north for me!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Peddling Extraordinaire
    Apr 2012
    https://www.facebook.com/MerrellTrails

looks like rockford, mi

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That looks like its gonna be sweet. gonna have to plan a fall trip to try it

GO BLUE!!
    Nice!
    I always wanted a Wookie, but I found out they weren't real.
    (Thanks for nothing, George Lucas.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yes, it's in Rockford. Less than a half mile from my house. Can't wait. I may head over this evening to check things out.

Just Ride
    2 1/2 hours north of me. May have to spend a weekend out there sometime. Brown County is 4 hours south. Plus many others I want to hit up over the next few years. So many trails so little money/time.

Falls-a-Lot
    Opening THIS WEEK!!! If only the ETA on my El Mariachi weren't Oct. or Nov. I might not get to use it at all at Owasippe, this year!
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Just Ride
    I saw that too. I most likely won't make it till next year. The pics they put up every so often make it look fun as hell!

Falls-a-Lot
    It opened today--I will likely wait a few weeks to venture out there, since I imagine it's really busy, right now. I also want to find out what to expect and what would be over my head from friends.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I rode the trail yesterday. I can say it is pretty slick. There are some really nice fast rhythm sections, and some more difficult technical side loops. We took one of the side loops which had a killer steep climb ending to a stone plateau which I could not make it over. At the end of the tech section there is a sweeping bridge that blindly gets narrow and I ended up ditching 4 feet with my bike landing on my head, thanks helmet. There are some nice double jump areas too. Overall very impressed.

I had a preview glimpse as my son and I worked on the trail a few weeks ago. There were already some changes made to one of the sections we worked on. Also I understand the bridge I dumped off of was originally wide throughout but recently narrowed at the end.

Go check it out, you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I rode the Merrell trail yesterday and it was a blast. Certain sections reminded me of a flow trail that we rode in Pennsylvania last year. It is certainly a nice addition to the trail systems in West Michigan.

Falls-a-Lot
    The hubby got out there a couple of days ago and LOVED it. He's really looking forward to advancing his skills so that he can do all of the bits on Sawtooth. I'm kind of nervous to hear that he found MT to be challenging...I'm a total noob and there are still spots at Luton that scare the crap outta me.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Got a chance to ride it yesterday. Lots of fun. Went around it 4 times to catch the different trails.

Missed Sawtooth the first time around, so had to go back and catch that, then realized I had missed some of Siren, so around I went again. Then I went back to the car to grab a bite and head back in for one more loop. Probably shouldn't have. Crashed three times on that last loop.

Had a minor washout in a corner that dumped me.

Followed that up with dropping my rear tire off of the bridge at the end of Sawtooth, resulting in me laying on my back against a tree three feet below where I started. (Note to self: The rear tire follows a smaller arc than the front, keep to the left where the bridge narrows!)

Last crash was on the man made ridge. I had cleared it twice before. Climbing up on to the ridge; no problem. Threading my way across the top of the ridge; no problem. Coming down the far end of the ridge; well, lets just say the bike decided to stay on top while I got a couple of yards of trail running in followed by a nice dust bath.

Can't wait to go back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Merrell was designed by the guy that did most of the design work in Brown County, IN -

'World class' mountain biking trail opens in Plainfield Township | MLive.com

The Rockford area has some great trails, including Cannonsburg State Game Area, Cannonsburg Ski Area, Luton Park and others. This is a great area to visit. 30 minutes away from the second largest city in Michigan - Grand Rapids. 45 minutes away from Lake Michigan.

I ride them all SS, just fine. Lots of fun!

Just Ride
    Saw on face book there's gonna be a Salsa Demo Day. Oct 5th at 10 am.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rode it today. Great!!! trail, challenging and fun. Thanks to all those who helped make it happen. Just an 8 mile ride from my home but roads to and from could be better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Merrell Trails are incredible. I forgot I was home in (greater) GR MI. Thanks trailbuilders.

mtbr member
    I drove out there from the Detroit area to ride it and Luton Park this past Saturday. Merrell is getting a bit dusty, but it's new trail that's getting a lot of use. I'm sure this'll settle down quickly. While only 5-6 miles, it's loads of fun and I highly recommend riding there.

Luton was also a nice treat. Only 4-5 miles away by car, and a similarly flowy trail, but obviously hand (as opposed to machine) built.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    I drove out there from the Detroit area to ride it and Luton Park this past Saturday. Merrell is getting a bit dusty, but it's new trail that's getting a lot of use. I'm sure this'll settle down quickly. While only 5-6 miles, it's loads of fun and I highly recommend riding there.

Luton was also a nice treat. Only 4-5 miles away by car, and a similarly flowy trail, but obviously hand (as opposed to machine) built.
    IMO, Luton is a must-do if you're in the area to ride Merrell. Merrell has received tons of publicity (well-deserved I might add), but Luton over-delivered in my mind. A great trail.