mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Maybury Time Trial 8/21

Maybury Chapter benefit race!

August 21st. Maybury State Park

2010's race will follow the same Time Trial format as last year. Elite and Expert racers will do 2 laps of the almost 9 mile course. Everyone else (including SS) will do 1 lap as fast as you can. And just like last year we are going to host the Team Competition (More on the team competition later). There is also a kids' race.

Also for 2010 we have moved to Digital - Timing that is! With the help of Race Services, each racer will be timed using an electronic chip. Results will be posted on several computer kiosks for immediate results. Online registration is open from now until Thursday August 19th. Pre-register online and save $10 over day of registration.

Again all the proceeds go directly to the Metro South chapter...Your events, your money, your trails.

http://www.bikereg.com/events/regist...?eventid=10177

DynoDon
    I wasn't there last year, and I never raced Mountain Bike before, I signed up in the Beginner 50+ cuz you didn't have a Beginner 60+ class, I just started riding MBing 2 months ago, I ride Maybury quite often, I've improved my lap times from 56 min. with many rest stops to 43 min. with no stops, now you say I have to go 9 miles??? where did the extra miles come from, I hope it's a mistake,,LOL!! What did I get myself in for?? Well I used to Motocross and other types of Motorcycle racing, (many moons ago) I guess I'll have to train more.
    Well thanks for the great work, and trails.. see you there.. the only member of Team Tenderloin, Don

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Enjoy the race. Stop by at the grill- we'll have burgers and dogs for donations.

DynoDon
    Quote Originally Posted by froggyrider
    Enjoy the race. Stop by at the grill- we'll have burgers and dogs for donations.
    I will enjoy the race thank you, but I haven't eaten meat in over 40 years... Happy Trails to you!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    we'll have veggie sausages!

DynoDon
    A fruit smoothie would be good, but we'll see..I've got to survive the 9 miles first..LOL!! I'll be going out in the mornings for a couple laps a day (hopefully without stopping) for the next few days, and a few days next week. I've been doing the Poto once a week too.
    I still hope the 9 miles was a misprint !!! Thanks for all your work, Team Tenderloin, Don

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I usually ride from the parking lot (8 mile entrance) and car to car is around 8 miles with the B loop being around 11. that is if I have my bike computer configured properly. I just started riding in March so I'm not too sure what lap time is considered decent.
    Matt
    2010 riding
    2009 Fisher Marlin Disc - 815 miles
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite - 730 miles

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The 9 miles is not a typo. The race includes some pavement, gravel roads and normally closed trails. You will do fine, I bet you won't even notice the extra miles.

Good luck!

Jeff

Trails-edge Racing

DynoDon

I think I signed up in the wrong class

I signed up in the Beginner 50+ class, all though I'm a beginner at mountain biking, This is my first Mountain Bike race of any kind,I have prior motocross, hare scrambles, TT (flat track), ice racing, scrambles on motorcycles, back a few years, but I was pretty good at it and trophyed quite often.
    I may be better off in the 60+ Sport class, my current lap times are 42 minutes and I improve everytime out, after talking to other riders, I think I would flow with the more experienced riders better

DynoDon
    Well I fixed that mistake, I signed up for both classes, LOL!!! I'll race in the 60+Sport, then the 50+ Beginners. I improved again, I rode a 42.45 Friday, then I went out Monday, and rode a 41.28, and I'm still making plenty of mistakes, but I'm getting better. I'll go out again tomorrow, and try to better my time again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sounds like a good solution!

will there be any trail maintenance before the time trial?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yes- there was some trimming done this week. Racers are welcome to come help trim, by the way!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here are the pics from this weekend's race on the MMBA Metro South picture gallery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/MMBA.Met...nefitRace2010#

I tried to capture everyone who helped, but for all those who volunteered that you see in these pics, there are many more behind the scenes I could not capture.

Thanks to Mike Flack who has made this race a staple in the MMBA CPS series over the past five years. The revenue from the races over the years has allowed the chapter to have a set of tools and resources that help us maintain the nine trails in our chapter and do advocacy and outreach. Mike, you are a role model for the future TC's and CPS reps in our chapter. As you know, it takes a ton of time, work and planning to put on a chapter benefit as it is all volunteer driven. We appreciate all that you have done over the years to make the chapter what it is today.

Please notice in the pictures how this race had volunteers from all over the MMBA- Poto and Metro North chapter members, for example, side by side with Metro South members. Plus, many volunteers are mountain bikers who are not MMBA members, yet they gave of their time to help their friends make this day great because their love and passion for the sport is just as strong. You'll see all ages in the pictures as well, showing how we promote fun racing for everyone! We even had Senator Glenn Anderson visit the race and chat with John Gonway, the MMBA Advocacy Director. Thanks to John and the MMBA lobbyists for bringing him out.

You will also see from the pictures that variety of race teams represented at the race. How fun is it that so many teams were well represented!

Good luck to those who are doing the whole CPS series, by the way.

If anyone is interested in helping with the chapter benefit race in 2011, please let me know. We want to be able to set up a robust committee way ahead of time so the 2011 Board can continue the great tradition at Maybury. Working with Race Services makes it easier as they are so professional and efficient that the racers and race planners love to work with them.

We will post the amount of money that that chapter made in the September Chapter meeting minutes. The meeting is held Monday, 9/13 at 7 pm (location TBA). We'll post them on the Metro South web site library as well as under the Metro South forum here on the MMBA site. We have been able to build bridges and kiosks with the funds raised from last year's race, plus get more tools for the chapter and host membership and outreach events in the community with Metro South brochures. Future plans include, among other items, a kiosk at Milford, signage at Hickory Glen/Commerce and a bench at the Highland Rec area to remember Carlos, former Trail Coordinator, who passed away a few years ago. Please let us know if you have ideas for hour your chapter dollars should be spent on your trails.

Thanks,

Claudia Bean, MMBA Metro South Chapter President 2010

DynoDon

Thank You and MMBA Metro South

That timing system is amazing, I raced Motocross years ago, we had to wait until after midnight at times for our results, and if it was a mud race it could be longer,, with this system the results for your class was there in minutes, and we could see it by scanning the computers ourselves to see the results,, Technology did a good thing this time..LOL
    I had bike problems, (live and learn LOL) but still finished, it was a good time even in the rain, great job MMBA Metro South...