mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Maybe moving back home

Hey all. I grew up in Grand Rapids. I have been living in Utah for about 5 years now. I got into mountain biking shortly after moving here. I have a job interview in Traverse City coming up, so I may be coming back to MI. I have been checking out trail maps and what not on line. So far I must say I have been disappointed. Am I missing something? Any great places to ride near Traverse City? I realize it will be a lot different compared to Utah, but still. I checked out Crystal Mountains mountain bike offerings, seems pretty weak. Not very many long trails. I'm an all mountain rider, usually riding at least 15 miles per ride, used to riding up for a long while, then heading back down. I'm pumped for the interview, just not the biking so far...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Check out this list of the best trails, trails like Arcadia Dunes & Glacier Hills are near Traverse City as is Boyne Highlands which has some great "lift assisted" runs. I will tell you having past rides in Utah (Moab) it is going to be different. Mainly single track roller coaster type runs that are a fast ride but not too technical. There are more technical rides in Michigans Upper Peninsula (like Copper Harbor) but this would be a weekend not a day trip. A real nice weekend trip would be to head back down the G.R. area and do Fort Custer, Yankee Springs and Merrell Trails (which has a lot of man-made obstacles).

Look thru this list, many have You Tube videos so you can preview them. I think you will enjoy the speed of Michigans trails even if they lack in the rocky/technical nature of Utahs

The BEST Mountain Bike Trails in Michigan || SINGLETRACKS.COM