mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Marquette questions

Hello Michigan cyclists....

coming from colorado, i will be in Michigan last week of July, thinking of riding in Marquette.

questions are thus:

1- any MUST DO trails?

2 - anything i should know or be aware of?

and 3 - is there free camping nearby the trails that you could recommend or warn me of?

any info is appreciated. please and thank you.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    1- Lots of cool stuff at the South Trails, ride all of them if you can.
    2- Border Grill is great after the ride.
    3- We have hobo camped on Benson Grade a few times with no problems. It's across the road from the South Trails parking area. There is also Tourist Park on the north side of town for pay camping. Cool campground with clean, hot water showers.
    Have fun.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    awesome info, thank you thank you thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    South trails Red, Blue, Yellow are all amazing, Green is great but it just doesn't pop the same way as the rest, that being said get on green to ride Down Dogger, minimal work for what has become my favorite trail, nice flowy downhill section. I recommend doing Red first then Dogger, then into Blue, and Yellow back to the trail head. If you are around on a Tuesday hit up Quick Stop bike shop on 3rd st. they lead a group ride out of there at 630 Phil is the trail master and makes the rides great for every level.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thanks deadhippy, good info

Jun 2012
    I'll second the recommendation for Border Grill. My wife and I met in college in Marquette, and get back to visit once a year or so. We make it a point to stop in at least twice when we go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So, if you had a choice between riding Copper Harbor/Michigan Tech/Swedetown trails in the Keweenaw or going to Marquette to ride on a 3 day weekend towards the end of October, what would you choose? I've ridden the Keweenaw area twice now and would go back, but would give Marquette a shot as I've never been there. Marquette is 1hr closer to boot. I like technical XC trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    All the Keweenaw trails are great for sure. However, They have done a lot of great work on the South Marq. trails over the last few years. There is a solid day of riding. All the trails are well marked.
    North of town on County rd 550 (about 8ish miles out of town there is a parking area on the left), there is the Harlow lake trails. Not well marked but some good riding. Fun tech stuff too. You would need to get hooked up at one of the local bike shops for tips. Mc Luvin, Angry Bear, and Hogs Back are some of my favorites.

mtbr member
    When I was there, I spent two days at Marquette and two at Copper. Haven't ridden MTU or Swede.

In general, if I had three days, I'd spend two at Copper and one at Marq South. Red trail, Der We Went, and some of the other trails East of US41 or all doable in one day if you are *ONLY* looking for technical XC. The rest is mostly flow/pump/DJ/DH. The Blue trail at Marquette is pretty tech, Yellow is flow and scenic, and Green is less tech than Blue. Haven't ridden Red.

Much of the draw of both places is the incredible variety of trails from DH/FR, to gravity flow trails, to techy XC. If you only want the latter, either could be ridden in a single day. In that case, I'd take a look at MTU or another third option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks. I'm thinking about going up to Marquette on the weekend of the 18th. I'll check out your recommendations.

mtbr member

Don't forget Churning Rapids outside of Hancock

Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    When I was there, I spent two days at Marquette and two at Copper. Haven't ridden MTU or Swede.

In general, if I had three days, I'd spend two at Copper and one at Marq South. Red trail, Der We Went, and some of the other trails East of US41 or all doable in one day if you are *ONLY* looking for technical XC. The rest is mostly flow/pump/DJ/DH. The Blue trail at Marquette is pretty tech, Yellow is flow and scenic, and Green is less tech than Blue. Haven't ridden Red.

Much of the draw of both places is the incredible variety of trails from DH/FR, to gravity flow trails, to techy XC. If you only want the latter, either could be ridden in a single day. In that case, I'd take a look at MTU or another third option.
    If you do end up in the Keweenaw and are looking for technical xc, Churning Rapids is 20 miles of sweet single track that would have a difficulty rating a bit higher than MTU

Keweenaw Trails Trail Systems

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks. I've heard good things about the Churning Rapids trails. Maybe next time up to the Keweenaw.

I've decided to go to Marquette this trip. I'll be there with 2 buddies 10/18-10/20. I hope the weather holds out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    http://www.noquetrails.org/wp-conten...outhTrails.pdf

If you haven't seen it already, here is a link the trail map for the south trails. The Harlow trails I was talking about is only around 4-5 miles out of town, not 10. Again these would need some info from a bike shop. Also, on 550 at the north end of town there is a trail head right after the dam. I haven't been on these in a while, but I know they have been adding to them. I'd offer to ride with ya at some point but I'm currently on the disabled list. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks. Weather shows chance of snow and rain, so we'll see how it goes.

mtbr member
    From what I understand the trails drain pretty well given the topography. I'd be surprised if it snowed enough to stick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I had a great time in Marquette despite the rain and the cold. Friday, we rode a very wet red and blue trail. Trails are well marked, but slick with wet leaves. Saturday, we rode green, Down Dogger 3 times, the best of red/green, and Flow: cold but sunny, leaves were still slick. Down Dogger is my new favorite trail anywhere. Flow was not fun with all the slick leaves. Sunday, we headed North on 550 and tried to ride some of the Harlow trails. Very hard without a local to guide. Thank goodness for the iPhone App or else we'd still be out there. I didn't like all the double track, but climbing the Top of the World was worth it.

Overall, we loved Marquette, but I think the Keweenaw still offers more options. I wish I could have the Down Dogger in the Keweenaw to make the next trip decision easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Marquette questions

The Michigan Tech trails have a brand new flow trail that is just as good as Down Dogger. Maybe better, depending on your preferences. I don't think it has a name yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I rode the new MTU flow trail at least 4 times on my last trip and I agree it's awesome. I just prefer Down Dogger. To each his own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Marquette questions

Yes, to each his own!

I give a slight edge to the MTU trail because it starts with a fun set of dirt jumps, has some big jumps near the end, and also some fun berm transfers. Down Dogger has some really fun big berms and good views, but the jumps don't flow as well.