Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Marquette Bike Jam to replace Superior Bike Fest

A new bike race weekend was announced yesterday that will take the place of the Superior Bike Fest on June 29, 30 & July 1st. The weekend festivities will include lift service at Marquette Mountain for super D, Dual Slalom, DH events on Saturday, June 30th. There will also be a XC Mountain Bike race on a different course which will consist primarily of the singletrack on the South Trails on Sunday, July 1st. There will also be a kids mountain bike race on the Grom trail.

Marquette Bike Jam

mtbr remember
    NOICE!

Thanks for posting this, I'll be there.

Superior Bikefest was always one of my favorite events, and was really sad to see it disappear...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    I'm there. Well seeing as I live there the cancellation of SBF last year really bummed me out. I wonder how diffrent the mountain bike courses will be? Could be a change for the better!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    I'm there. Well seeing as I live there the cancellation of SBF last year really bummed me out. I wonder how diffrent the mountain bike courses will be? Could be a change for the better!

nice, I miss MQT... but also noticed a lot of trails fell into major disrepair last time I was there last summer... that was a major bummer too...

I've never done an actual super-d before, but I may be up for trying one at this event... tried the time trial or whatever they called it at fat tire last year though, and that was fun even though I puffed out, didn't expect that much pedalling, haha... I guess that was somewhat of a "super d" type event.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI View Post
    nice, I miss MQT... but also noticed a lot of trails fell into major disrepair last time I was there last summer... that was a major bummer too...

I've never done an actual super-d before, but I may be up for trying one at this event... tried the time trial or whatever they called it at fat tire last year though, and that was fun even though I puffed out, didn't expect that much pedalling, haha... I guess that was somewhat of a "super d" type event.
    What trails did you ride?? Most of the trails are kept in immaculate shape? Were they on the ski hill itself? If that is the case I know why, long story.

I heard the same thing about the fat tire super D haha, lots of pedaling. But that sounds like my kind of super D, haha! If I get my AM bike together by next September, I'd love to enter that event too that weekend!
    -Eric

mtbr remember
    yeah, well the "south trails" definitely got more uniform, and now have SIGNS, wow.
    Benson is a lost cause now apparantly...

I remember one of the Superior bike fests that I did that had the XC Mountain Chase that went onto the prison property trails... that was fun, but brutal.

I lived there for 5 years when I went to school there... and I now miss it after living in several other places... I'll be back eventually, as more than just a visitor I'm sure.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI View Post
    yeah, well the "south trails" definitely got more uniform, and now have SIGNS, wow.
    Benson is a lost cause now apparantly...

I remember one of the Superior bike fests that I did that had the XC Mountain Chase that went onto the prison property trails... that was fun, but brutal.

I lived there for 5 years when I went to school there... and I now miss it after living in several other places... I'll be back eventually, as more than just a visitor I'm sure.
    It's always had signs as long as I've been riding ~ 5 years.

But there is certainly a lot more now then ever. Some of my favorite trails were UN-marked, are now marked. However, It's pretty selfish of me to really care, because I'm glad more people are out on the trails and enjoying them.

Benson isn't a lost cause, but the Freeride gnar certainly has toned down from what it once was. I think there was a lawsuit or two and that pretty much put the kabash on a lot of the home grown trail building/log rides, jumps ect.

The downhill runs are still really gnar tho. There is a local group of dh diehards that really have some nice dialed in runs over there. I'm sure you've ridden Flow? One of the most fantastic trails in the world, imo. Still just as awesome as it ever was.

I love marquette. I probably should leave and do other things in some respects, but I really do like it here by the same token. Living in a place where most people go to vacation is ok by me.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Trail Jam XC MTB race will be on a completely different course than the old SBF Mountain Chase. It will be on the Marquette South Trails. The NTN has developed brand new singletrack for this race called the Porcupine Pass which goes under the Flow trail. The race course will be on all or parts of the Green, Red and Blue loops depending on the distance of your choice. The long race will only have you ride the same section of singletrack briefly.

mtbr member
    I'm kinda on the fence about porcupine pass after riding it. Some of the jumps and tabletops on the course aren't really ones you can hit? And right now it's super loose. But I think that will change if more folks ride on it. There are some nice berms and bridges tho.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Porcupine Pass is brand new so it does take time to get ridden in. Just like the Green Morgan Creek loop was when it was first built. The mini excavator just buffed out Porkie Pass a little more this week. This new section of trail was needed to keep the road crossing at a minimum for rider safety. Nothing is official but the Trail Jam race should only have one County Rd 553 road crossing and that would be at the very beginning of the race in one large group. More to come....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sounds good to me, i'll ride that **** regardless. Sure would be great to have it on a map and all, but I never go to the UP expecting up to date maps and stuff like that, I kind of prefer it the way it is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The maps of the courses are on the website.

mtbr member
    hm, now the dilemma is short or long...

That long course is gonna be kinda brutal ride to race, lots of climbing.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ahh yes, indeed there is a map now. Thanks to all that are helping organize this, it sounds like it's going to be a good time between the crit and the trail riding for me, and probably spectating the events at marquette mountain. I miss the days when the chairs ran for a lot of the summer, too bad they couldn't keep that going. Marquette trails = amazing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The long course is gonna be a tough 21 miles. It will feature most of the Marquette South Loops except the Yellow Loop which has the Gorgeous trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The dual slalom course is going to be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I personally am planning on the short loop, 21 miles on south trails is really hard on me.

Did I hear that the Super D is going to be on Easy Rider? If so, I am in on that with my hardtail, taken the trail plenty of times when I first started biking (lifts were running) and I'm not afraid to race it on the hardtail. Trying to figure out where I saw that though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeakJones View Post
    I personally am planning on the short loop, 21 miles on south trails is really hard on me.

Did I hear that the Super D is going to be on Easy Rider? If so, I am in on that with my hardtail, taken the trail plenty of times when I first started biking (lifts were running) and I'm not afraid to race it on the hardtail. Trying to figure out where I saw that though.
    YEah, I decided I'm doing super D too, yes, it is easy rider. I'm even going to ride it rigid. Haters gonna hate. I just hope I'm not dead last on that thing
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not sure 100% if I'm even going to make it up this weekend. Hopefully I get there in time to register and ride the crit though!

I'm quite confused on which gravity events are on which trails at the hill (I know the trail names), I don't even know where I figured out the Super D was on Easy Rider? Oh well, I guess it's like every race I've done, get there barely in time and totally wing it lol

mtbr member
    Not sure 100% if I'm even going to make it up this weekend. Hopefully I get there in time to register and ride the crit though!

I'm quite confused on which gravity events are on which trails at the hill (I know the trail names), I don't even know where I figured out the Super D was on Easy Rider? Oh well, I guess it's like every race I've done, get there barely in time and totally wing it lol
    Super D will be on easy rider.

DS is a newly constructed thing, so is parts of the DH course.

I figured I'll give the DS a try since I paid for it, might as well do 2/3. Also decided like a dumb to do the long trail jam, haha.

My legs are gonna hurt. But I guess it's an excuse to drink more beer and ride more bikes! This weekends gonna kick so much ass.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well, I guess I'll be up to register tomorrow and then do the crit. Suppose I'll bring the road bike for that. Buddy can not go so I have to go up alone and do this all alone heh. Eric, are you planning on doing the DS on the rigid bike too? I only have my Trek 8000 based hardtail, and don't want to hurt the old girl, so I was originally planning on ONLY doing the Super D, but maybe I should re-consider? Might have to check out the course and decide from there.

I guess I'm not sure which XC race I'm doing yet either, 12 miles sounds so short now.

mtbr member
    Might do it on the rigid, might do it on my 80mm travel homebuilt HT too that's a 26er. I just put a 2.4 ardent on the front and the thing rips pretty good. I'll probably do super D with it, maybe slolom? Not sure, might do the DS with my KM once I check it out. Lifts are open for participants to practice tonight from 4-9pm
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yo did you do the crit? I got 8th in the dudes category. Which im happy with, plenty of fast dudes in the front. Word is they're running the lifts at 9 tomorrow for practice, I plan to be there then. Ill be wearing a white fox jersey and grey oakley shorts, riding an unpainted hardtail.

mtbr member
    Yo did you do the crit? I got 8th in the dudes category. Which im happy with, plenty of fast dudes in the front. Word is they're running the lifts at 9 tomorrow for practice, I plan to be there then. Ill be wearing a white fox jersey and grey oakley shorts, riding an unpainted hardtail.
    Didn't do it, because I was using the lifts yesterday @ the hill riding. I'll look for ya! I'll have black shorts, and I think my Coor's jersy. Riding a black HT. Hope to see you down there! What is your actual name, so I know how to address you out there other than beakJones, lol
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Talked to a whole bunch of people today, guess you weren't one of them lol. I should see you at the trial jam tomorrow though. I decided to do the 25, so we'll be going head to head. I'll be wearing a red fox jersey tomorrow. Only clothes left not dirty after the puddle today...

*edit* my name is Blake

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast