Thread: Manistee

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009

Manistee

I will be up in Manistee for about a week in late July, early august. I will be bringing a bike but can't decide which one....my hardtail geared 29er or my rigid SS what do you folks ride up there?

Also what trails are close by other than Big M?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'd probably bring the geared bike - there are a lot of rolling hills that might kill on the ss. I'm from Manistee (currently away at school in Houghton), but I never did get to bike Big M - have property right nearby though!

There are also some trails south of town at the Lake Michigan Rec Area (they really aren't a long trail system, or very demanding, but they are there as well if you are looking for another place).

Black Sheep rising
    "Close by" is kinda relative when dealing with rural areas. But within 50 miles or so you have a fair number of pretty nice choices.

I'd consider going a bit further afield if you have the time, as Michigan offers up some pretty good XC trails.

And I'd concur on the geared 29er suggestion.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The North Country Trail

I highly recommend the section from Dilling Road north to Beers Road. Big hills (by lower Michigan standards), but nothing outrageously steep. Much of that section is bench cut into the hillsides. This section is 13 1/2 miles (one way).

Also, you can pick up the North Country Trail off of M55 near Wellston, and head south. The NCT passes through Big M here. You can ride all the way to Bowman Lake (near Baldwin), with just a couple short road stretches. M55 to Bowman Lake is 41 miles (one way).

The downhill heading north back to M55 is a blast

Note: the section between Dilling Road and M55 is closed to bikes

mtbr member

North Country Trail

I'll throw in a vote for North Country Trail. There are maps and trail descriptions here at the MMBA's web site.

http://mmba.org/trail-guide
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?