mtbr member
    Oct 2008

lower peninsula riding

I could have an internship at sleeping bear dunes this summer. I'm from western NC and have never been out that way and while good riding won't necessarily be making the decision for me, I'm still curious. Is there anything nice to ride in the area? any input would be great

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You picked a gorgeous place to have an internship. There is a lot of great places to road ride and mountain ride within a (relatively) short driving distance. Check out www.mmba.org for trail details. There are also books with trail listings in them at your LBS. Take a look. Welcome to the Great Lakes State.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I live in Traverse City is the larger town around Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park. I grew up rideing on the trails and two tracks around sleeping bear. There is so great riding, not to mention the best place to spent the summer in america. If u take the internship, look me up on the forums. I would be glad to show u around.
    Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Northern Michigan Riding

There are some newer trails just south of Frankfort off M-22. Call up Crystal Lake Adventure Sports or words to that effect. You're also fairly close to an area called Big M on M-55 just west of Wellston. World class biking in my opinion. They hold the Lumberjack 100 there every summer. Bring your road bike too if you have one, great riding out the Leelanau Peninsula and south towards Onekama. We have a weekly ride out of Ludington and head to Big M often. Check out www.trailheadbikeshop.com for details.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    get yourself some fat tires and ride the dunes, should be fun.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out