mtbr member

Good job! Keweenaw trail report

If anyone cares, some of our trails have dried and been raked clear in the Hancock, Houghton area. For those who might wonder, the Keweenaw is the BIG peninsula, located in the UP of Michigan on the south shore of Lake Superior. This is located above or north of Wisconsin. Michigan Tech is good to go and these photos were taken there. This tree is ached over from snow load. Swedetown is still snow packed because they get a tad more up there. Maasto Hiihto and Churning Rapids has not been reported on yet. We’ll check out Copper Harbor over the weekend and report back. Feel free to contact us for specific trail info. Hooray for the riding season!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by arly; 05-11-2009 at 08:06 AM.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I'd like to thank everyone that raked the trails this year, the trails are definitely looking good right now.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Copper Harbor trail pics

The photo immediately below might give you an idea why we live here! This is overlooking Copper Harbor on Sunday afternoon so we obviously made it up there and found the trails in wonderful shape. Only wet spots being near the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge. With the leaves not being out we took LOTS of photos and below are a few. We also made a cool movie going down the Stairway to Heaven while following a couple of guys which we might post later. If we can figure out how to edit it! Gee we had some great rides there!
    Last edited by arly; 05-13-2009 at 05:59 AM.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member

Red trail Rocks

Seen below is a rock located on the shores of Lake Manganese and near the end of the Red trail at Copper harbor. It’s a tad difficult for riders to climb. (just us?) This obstacle is on the course of the Far Tire race held here on Labor day weekend. In the bottom photo you’ll have a better view of the rock.. Trails and race info can be had at
    http://www.copperharbortrails.org/
    Last edited by arly; 05-16-2009 at 06:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    awesome pics. keep 'em coming. you're making me homesick! planning to get up there this August.

mtbr member
    Thanks. If you shuffle over to the gallery and use the names of area trails like Swedetown, Mi Tech, Churning Rapids, Etc. You'll see a few photos that folks have installed from here. Why did you move away??

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was only there for university...'99-'05. hated to leave, but the little issue of gainful employment...

we go back occasionally to see my inlaws.

mtbr member

The many trails of the Keweenaw!

I’d like to add that with over 150 miles of IMBA trails here, like seen in the photos we just posted. We'd have to thank the folks who had the foresight to build, then maintain them today. (discloser, we only do a smidgen of work on them)

Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    I'd like to thank everyone that raked the trails this year, the trails are definitely looking good right now.
    Last edited by arly; 05-12-2009 at 11:21 AM.

mtbr member

more Keweenaw trail photos

Few more photos from Copper Harbor, Mi Tech and Churning Rapids where trail mutt Gromit is getting a quick cool one. Who deosn't love them!

mtbr member

Stairway to Heaven video

Since Arlyn has a NEW camera with video capability. We followed some freinds down the Stairway to Heaven as Sandy shot over Arly’s shoulder. Please let us know what you think of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQj-hZtC3E&&fmt=18

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Mount that camera on Grommet

That would be a unique view. The video was quite nice anyway.
    Rich

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Love the shots! I graduated from MTU back in 91 and sure do miss the Keweenaw! It is beautiful country!

mtbr member

area trails photo search

Thanks Junk, When will you be back to visit or ride with us?? We’ll try taking a few more before the leaves come out. We really can only take good photos (and videos?) in the fall or spring because the light eating leave canopy isn’t out yet. As stated above, if you go to MTBR’s photo gallery and search it using trail names, you can find a few more photos from here. Use the words Mi Tech, Churning Rapids, Maasto, Swedetown and of course Copper Harbor. Hope we see ya sometime!