mtbr member

Island Lake - Sand city

Just rode the yellow trail at IL this morning and they must have decided to prevent some erosion or fill in some low spots. However, they placed a TON of sand throughout the trail and not in very optimal areas. My opinion is they ruined a "relatively" fun trail.

Many of the areas that are typically muddy were still there so I'm not sure what methodology they used for the sand placement but it didn't do anything for the riding experience. They slowed it down considerably and made some turns a white knuckle affair if you got caught off guard.

Just letting some of you know if you haven't been there in a while. In case you care.

But for all you heroes out there, go ahead and tell me how "fun" riding in the sand is. I can't wait to read everyone's response to this one.

"Sand is great"
    "Sand helps preserve our trails"
    "Dirt turns to mud"
    "What do you expect them to do?"
    "Island Lake has always been sandy" <<<<< Not!

LOL, c'mon heroes start writing your ridiculous observations about how good you are in the sand and how sweet IL is now.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member

Island Lake - Sand city

Are they trying to sell fat bikes? I've never rode IL, sorry.

Howell, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Just rode the yellow trail at IL this morning and they must have decided to prevent some erosion or fill in some low spots. However, they placed a TON of sand throughout the trail and not in very optimal areas. My opinion is they ruined a "relatively" fun trail.

Many of the areas that are typically muddy were still there so I'm not sure what methodology they used for the sand placement but it didn't do anything for the riding experience. They slowed it down considerably and made some turns a white knuckle affair if you got caught off guard.

Just letting some of you know if you haven't been there in a while. In case you care.

But for all you heroes out there, go ahead and tell me how "fun" riding in the sand is. I can't wait to read everyone's response to this one.

"Sand is great"
    "Sand helps preserve our trails"
    "Dirt turns to mud"
    "What do you expect them to do?"
    "Island Lake has always been sandy" <<<<< Not!

LOL, c'mon heroes start writing your ridiculous observations about how good you are in the sand and how sweet IL is now.
    No sand has been placed on the trail. The soil there has a high sand content and we've have had a major lack of rain. There have been storms but Island Lake hasn't seen a drop.

As a trail coordinator there I assure you I've hauled no sand out onto the trail.

Mark D
    Mark D
    Giant XTC29er 1
    S Works Epic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsr1 View Post
    No sand has been placed on the trail. The soil there has a high sand content and we've have had a major lack of rain. There have been storms but Island Lake hasn't seen a drop.

As a trail coordinator there I assure you I've hauled no sand out onto the trail.

Mark D
    Hey Mark,
    I'm not sure I understand your explanation. How can you say Island Lake has had a "major lack of rain"??? We've had substantial rain this spring and summer in SE Michigan and Island Lake has had ton of mud this year.

Not saying "you" placed down the sand, but the beginning of the year, there were two major areas of sand on the yellow trail. Now my guess is that 25% of the trail is sand.

Also, it's only plausible that becasue of the rain, someone is trying to prevent erosion on the bottom of the hills - where the sand is, so someone brought in and placed a ton of sand on the trail. Go take a look.

Howell, MI
    True, we had a ton of rain through the spring and summer and many a ride cancelled because of it, but recently have had a dry spell. Not a drought mind you. This isn't to say there hasn't been rain in the area but most of it has missed the Howell/Brighton area. Just a week or so ago we had storms and heavy rainfall at Highland, Lakeshore, and Maybury but not a drop landed at ILRA.

With the heavy rains that preceded the dry the soil filters through leaving the sand exposed and that naturally flows downhill with the water.

No one has placed sand to try to avert erosion.
    Mark D
    Giant XTC29er 1
    S Works Epic

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Aren't you the same OP that was complaining about Brighton/Torn Shirt?

We live in Michigan, we have a lot of sandy areas, get over it. There are many other areas you can go ride, but like it was already pointed out because of the weather, they too probably have a bit more sand than normal.

I really don't understand how anyone can complain, we could live somewhere with no trails, but we don't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    OP it's MICHIGAN, gets sandy in the summer, and like you said it is sandy at the bottom of hills cause that's where it collects. If you don't like sand I recommend a fat bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ej132 View Post
    OP it's MICHIGAN, gets sandy in the summer, and like you said it is sandy at the bottom of hills cause that's where it collects. If you don't like sand I recommend a fat bike.
    LOL,

Typical response. But no, it's not because it's Michigan. Ride Maybury or Tree Farm? Nowhere near the sand.

Thanks for your "recommendation". I'll pass on the fat bike and just ride better trails. IL is lame anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    IL is lame anyway.
    You could have saved yourself the hassle of starting this whole thread if you had just kept this idea in your head when you left the parking lot. Problem solved, no *****ing required.

mtbr member
    I am not sure about the sand but there have been a TON of riders out there. Maybe somebody put in extra riders. Lots of traffic. Kids, families, girls even. and trail joggers. Trail joggers everywhere... Wearing headphones and running in the wrong direction. grr

Haha. just messin. I love seing all of the family riding out there. Riders and trail bosses of the future.

mtbr member
    Island lake is awesome. Sand is awesome. Girls like sand. Sand = girls. Girls = girlfriends. Girlfriends = no griping on mtbr about a little sand on the trail.