mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Island lake, brighton, poto, etc.

So I need your guy's expertise. I wanna get a new bike for riding in southeast michigan trails. I want a light bike, preferably full suspension, that wont break the bank. Any suggestions? I am 6'1" and about 165 lbs. if that helps with sizing at all. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check out the MMBA website, most of the members on that forum are from southeast MI.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    Honestly for the trails in southeast mi full sus is a waste, not enough bumps in the trail. I would suggest trying to find a nice chromo hardtail, but Al will be fine depending if you can't find a shop selling chromo. you'll get it for cheaper than full sus , it'll most likely be lighter, and you'll be able to work more speed out of the trails. Go ask the guys at your LBS, try and find one where the workers mtb because as I recall I had a hard time finding a close LBS that wasn't run by roadies or touring guys (in and around south lyon).
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Go check out Trails Edge Cyclery. If you are planning on riding the trails you have mentioned you should be pretty close to the shop. Mike is the owner and they all are MTBers there. Good luck on your search.
    www.trails-edge.com
    I leave the symbols to the symbol minded.
    -George Carlin

Team Trails Edge

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Check out abeerdeen in chelsea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpud
    I want a light bike, preferably full suspension, that wont break the bank.
    And we're all looking for a fat free double bacon cheesburger too.
    But seriously, how big is the bank? I think there's a lot of value in the Giant Anthem as far as full sus. cross country bikes go. I have ridden both the Anthem and the Trance on S.E. Mi. area trails and I like them both.
    But that said I'm still a hardtail holdout for riding our local trails, curently riding and LOVING my Trek 69er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well currently the bank is about 1500. With that said it brings me to the classic debate. Should I hold out keep saving and get a nice full suspension (ie trek fuel ex8) or get a quality hardtail (stumpjumper). After riding the other day I'm leaning towards the hardtail. Lightweight seems to be my priority.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cpud
    Well currently the bank is about 1500. With that said it brings me to the classic debate. Should I hold out keep saving and get a nice full suspension (ie trek fuel ex8) or get a quality hardtail (stumpjumper). After riding the other day I'm leaning towards the hardtail. Lightweight seems to be my priority.
    Aberdeen Bike in chelsea, 734-475-8203, has a 2007 Fuel 98 (full carbon wiuth XT) was $4300--- ON SALE FOR ---$2500.00

LCW
    mtbr member
    Although the SE MI trails aren't super rough, having full susp gives you less of a beating... I have a 2008 HiFi Deluxe - it's a 120mm travel bike, and fairly light, around 27lbs stock. Plenty for MI. A good 100 to 120mm full susp bike will do great. I have buddies that ride hardtails, and while they are surely adequate, they do get beat up a bit more (ie. it gets tiring) on longer and/or rougher rides.

I'd say you should look for a used or demo full suspension bike, like maybe a Giant Trance or Anthem X, Gary Fisher HiFi or SuperCaliber, Trek Fuel EX, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp or Epic Comp, Cannondale Rush,Titus Motolite, Santa Cruz Blur, etc. I think 1500 would get you a really nice used full susp bike that doesn't have much mileage on it.

Call up some local bikeshops, check Craigslist, Ebay, or even MMBA classifieds... http://www.mmba.org/viewforum.php?f=8

Or even MTBR classified... http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showcat.php/cat/3

cheers