mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Island lake bike demo

May 3rd join us at Island Lake rec area to demo bikes from Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Niner, Scott, Colnago, and Felt. The big tech rig from Sram wll be there too.

Kids bike rodeo presented by Michigan Youth Cycling too. Lunch will be provided.
    Register at Active.com.

Island Lake Spring Bike Fest | ACTIVE

Like us on Facebook too

https://www.facebook.com/Michiganbikedemo

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hi, a few questions about the bike demo. What's the exact location of where the demo will be held? Also do we have to register to attend the event? What's the registration fee and the fee at the door?

thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMD View Post
    Hi, a few questions about the bike demo. What's the exact location of where the demo will be held? Also do we have to register to attend the event? What's the registration fee and the fee at the door?

thanks for your help.
    The Demo is held at Island Lake recreation area a couple miles east of Brighton MI. Specifically in the Dodge unit which is the very back of the park on the west side.

You will need to register for the demo either online, or day of. Registering on-line will save you $10 if you do it by April 19. The fee is $20 before April 19th $25 until May 1st. And $30 day of. You will get $25 back if you purchase a bike after the demo with and show your wrist band to a participating dealer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was in a shop talking about this fee situation.
    This is the second year of the fee idea. While it has reduced the 5 hour wait for some bikes seen two years ago, I think the negatives outweigh that benefit.
    Lots of interest two years ago was a good thing. It could lead to getting more riders into the sport.
    Spring at a major metropolitan area, it seems logical with this many manufacturers present a lot of people would like the opportunity to compare bikes with an on trail demo.
    In fact a demo is the only way to make a reasoned evaluation among a number of often expensive bikes.
    And you just can't get that on the parking lot. It leads to sales not just of the high dollar bikes but the similar more affordable versions. It gives riders experience with new components they haven't seen yet. It allows you to bring friends on entry bikes out for a ride on something substantially different.
    This fee idea cuts back on riders for this one day demo who aren't in the last few steps of a big bike purchase.
    Alternatives?
    The most obvious is to expand the time to two or more days. And/or bring more bikes. Yes, the Giant truck is scheduled for Grand Rapids the next day so you can't do that. Expand the schedule. Change is good when logical.
    There are enough riders in this area for a lot of bike shops.
    There are more than enough for two days or two weekends of demos.
    I enjoyed the free two day demo Trek did at Sony last September. For me it was invaluable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Is there anyway to just go there to look at the bikes and possibly purchase a bike without demoing the bike? I know what kind of bike I want and I just wanted to see if there were any good deals on the bikes I am looking at during the Demo, I don't particularly need or want to ride the bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When I was at the Trek Factory Demo in September, there was no charge and showing up got you a 100 off 1500 or higher priced bike if bought within 90 days. You could use that in addition to any negotiated deal like 15% off, which I did.

Riders need info. Much of the most important only comes from a demo. Charging to cut down the number of riders is reverse logic aimed to benefit a few-- like an organizer or small group of riders.
    It's very tunnel visioned and short sighted.
    The logical response is to grab the success, expand to handle it and hope for even more the next year.
    Aiming to create fewer participants will only lead to fewer sales.
    50 guys may buy 30 bikes, but 300 riders will buy a lot more than 30 and more the next year.

You should be able to go and talk bikes without paying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The demo is at a state park, so by all means, yes. Come hang out. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do that.

There really isn't an opportunity to buy a bike at the demo though. 99% of the bikes come in the factory trucks, and need to leave in the factory trucks. There will be a bunch of dealers at the demo, so you ma be able to talk to them there, but you could talk to them in their stores too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Any chance there will be any Santa Cruz, Yeti or Ibis bikes there?

mtbr member
    Haha - $30 the day of????? What a joke.

What next, you have to pay to walk into a car showroom? Yeah guys, good luck with your bike Demo. LMAO
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You'll pay nearly $100 a day to demo a bike in Park City or Fruita. $30 to check out the latest and greatest is a bargain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrain View Post
    You'll pay nearly $100 a day to demo a bike in Park City or Fruita. $30 to check out the latest and greatest is a bargain.
    It's the internet. It wouldn't be right if someone didn't complain about something no matter how frivolous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrain View Post
    Park City is a bit different than IL - LOL.

Enjoy your "demo"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Park City is a bit different than IL - LOL.

Enjoy your "demo"
    Must be a bummer when $30 seems like a lot of money. Glad I don't have that problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    Must be a bummer when $30 seems like a lot of money. Glad I don't have that problem.
    Yeah, that $30 is tough, especially because I spent $8,500 on bikes last year. And, as some other genius stated in another thread, I must be paying off the credit cards for those purchases. LMAO

You know, there are a lot rich people from SE Michigan who ride at IL. I can tell by all the expensive cars in the parking lot. Hahahaha