mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Impromptu trip to Detroit... want to ride.

I just found out today that I have to be in Livonia, Detroit area on monday and tuesday for work. I had several rides planned for this weekend and next week and dont want to not ride due to work.Is there any good riding in the area. I am planning on bringing my XC bike and my jump bike for some urban riding. I am a sport class XC rider and a beginner on the jump bike. I am thinking of stopping by Rays new dirt jump room on the trip to improve my jump skills.

Any help would be appreciated. I have yet to set my plans in stone so arrival and departure dates are flexible.I might show up saturday morning and leave wed or thursday.... all flexible.

Oh. If there is any racing too I would love to get in a local race.

Also willing to drive a little to for some good trails or races...

Thanks Ross

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There are a few good trails not too far from Livonia. check out www.mmba.org for descriptions. I like each of them - Island Lake has more miles, but more people. Maybury is tighter and twistier, but short and not too crowded. Lakeshore is easiest to get to and has some fun technical stuff. These are the three I go to when I'm in Detroit (usually stay in Southfield).

Lakeshore Park in Novi (Novi road near 13 mile - about 1.5 miles off of I-696). 10 miles of singletrack plus a pump track.

Maybury (8 mile and Beck) - 6-7 miles of tighter singletrack.

Island Lake (Grand River and Kensington, right of 96 - but the Kensington Road exit is closed, so get off at Kent Lake Rd and take Grand River). 15 miles of singletrack.