Thread: Iceman 2013

mtbr member

Iceman 2013

So how many people are going to ride the Iceman? i'm in for #6 this year.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yup, number 4 for me. Singlespeed

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    9th time. Fat Bike class this year.

mtbr member
    What is it like to pedal one of those fat bikes up hill? I have yet to ride one, so I have no idea what they pedal like.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm finally doing my first one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    First one for me

mtbr member
    Second one for me. Last year was a blast! I've been looking forward to this year for about 364 days.

mtbr member
    number 6 for me. riding my fat bike this year and my new hip that i got in january should help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    First one for me

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Lazy People Suck
    It looks like high 30s/low 40s, raining and windy. Nice. What tires are everyone running? I had run Maxxis Aspens F/R the last couple of years, but was thinking of running a Stan's Raven on the back for a little more speed. I know it is sandy soil, but how sloppy does it get? Is a Raven a little too slick for a wet Iceman course?
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    my first as well and also have the same question re: FATBIKES and climbing since i have my eye's on one..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    What a great event. My time wasn't what I wanted it to be, but since this is my first one I'm hoping it was good enough to improve my starting wave next year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had a blast on Saturday. Being my first one my time was 2:31:24. Cramped up a little so that slowed my time a little. I can't wait till next years race. I'm curious as to where I will be seeded next year. I'm shooting for a time of 2:15 my next go around. Everything seemed to run extremely smooth for such a big event.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Nice job! Iceman is a great event, very well run. For what it is worth, I was cramping bad by the end too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I used my fatty in 2010. Added 20 minutes to my time. Also had a max speed of 29 mph. Cleared all the hills too. I think if I used it again, it would be different. I lightened my wheels by almost 2 poinds for one thing.
    They are fun bikes. Getting vary popular up in the UP. Though they are "snow bikes" they are not really good in unpacked snow. Best used where people have been snow shoeing, snowmobiling or the like. In the summer, they are more allterrain then most regular mtb's. If there is a tree across the trail, you are more apt to find a rout around it on your fatty.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    My third time doing it this year, amazing time as always. I am absolutely amazed at the drainage though. I know it's sandy soil...but that was alot of rain right up to 7am, and the course conditions were pretty much perfect.
    Thanks for a great event once again. Already looking forward to bettering my placing next year!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah conditions were really good this year, with the added distance times were pretty much identical to last years times (not mine, I had major bike issues last year, but a comparrison of the winning times).

mtbr member
    As some of my friends said, its not about the race, its the experience. That was a great quote when he followed it by saying it funny to finish in 2 hours and pass some 5+ hour people eating lunch on the side of the trail. 2nd time, still my favorite race experience. Look at my avatar, I got to meet Stephen Ettinger, and Todd Wells. A great experience, even if you don't race.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah, heck I raced in the afternoon and I passed a couple people finishing up from the morning. Seeing as the race had left me within the first 10 minutes, I made sure to slow down and throw out some words of encouragement. It is really cool to see guys totally stoked just to be out there!

mtbr member
    If you watched the finish of the pro race, it was amusing. The winner of the women's race was competing to the line against a "larger" man. If not, here is a link to a video some guys I used to ride with made, I'm in there too. I'm the yellow and orange flash you see for about half a second. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxy17_g6aQM
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.

~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinKreger View Post
    If you watched the finish of the pro race, it was amusing. The winner of the women's race was competing to the line against a "larger" man. If not, here is a link to a video some guys I used to ride with made, I'm in there too. I'm the yellow and orange flash you see for about half a second. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxy17_g6aQM
    Ha! Yes he was one of the guys I passed! It was about 1-2k before we looped in and then headed back out, but yeah totally awesome that he had the will and desire to line up and then finish. A lot of times this is the start of somthing good for him and others like him, we may see him next year and he may not even be able to recognize him.

BTW, I actually think that was Woodruff he was racing Pendrel finished a couple minutes prior
    Last edited by Bgoetz; 12-24-2013 at 05:01 AM.