mtbr member

Ice Man: how'd ya do?

For my 1st Iceman, I thought I did pretty darn well. I kinda failed and was a bit late and missed my Starting wave (Wave 19) and ended up going with wave 20, not a big deal. It was still a hoot! Sure the terrain was easy, but the race was F**King fast!! Glad I had my 29er set up just right!

I ended up doing the race in less time than I thought too, 2 hr's 17min and 54 sec. I was hoping for under 2.5hrs so this was good. If I do it again I know some good spots to shave time in. Maybe I could get it down to 2:15 or under next year?

Lots of good people and beer out this weekend too. I stayed with friends, but there were even a lot of good folks out for the race and the afterparty.

Met a Surly employee on the bus back to Kalkaska, which was cool, he had the new Moonlander, and being a surly nerd myself, we had to talk bikes.

Had a blast!! Hoping to do it again next year.

And btw, the weather was SO nice! Hope its as nice next year too!

How was everyone elses time?
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I missed my goal of sub 2 hours by 41 seconds. Overall great ride and lots of fun.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

mtbr member
    2:25 here on the first try. I had a target of 2:15 but can justify the extra 10 minutes because the course was 3 miles longer this year...

I passed an obscene number of people going up hills, it was weird. I saved myself on the flats a bit and now that I have one Iceman under my belt I know I can still attack the hills and work the flats a bit harder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I trained really hard this year to get under 2 hours, but I got pretty sick on Wednesday- I had to stop three times during the race just to breathe and stop the dizziness. I really contemplated dropping out at Wiliamsburg Rd, but I pressed on. The last 10 miles was a total suffer-fest for me. Ended up 2:28. Damn.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I did my first Iceman also. This was my first year of real mtbing and I didn't ride as much as I wanted this summer due to an injury. My goal was under 4 hrs and I did it in 3:51.

If I can save some money I will try to get a better bike this year, rode a 2010 stock Rockhopper. Now that I know what to expect I should do better next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It was my 1st Iceman as well, and had two goals: 1) Finish, and 2) break 3:00. I came in at 2:38, so I'm pretty happy. Did pretty poorly in my age group, but as a beginner I think it was OK.

The entire day was a blast. All the people, all the beer, perfect weather...it was just a ton of fun.

mtbr member
    I know this is a bit off subject, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask. My wife and I really want to take on the Iceman next year, how does one go about registering? Is this one of those events that is fully booked before registration opens, do racers from past years get first dibs and grab all the openings? The reason I ask is, I know there are a lot of people who sell their registration and I assumed it was because they are tough to get. Thanks for the info, I hope to see you all at next years race.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think in March they open up online registration. The entries are generally gone in a couple of hours. I kept hitting "refresh" until I was able to secure a spot. If you don't get one at that time, you can buy an entry from someone who got one but isn't going to use it. They charge a transfer fee for that.

Hope that helps. Lots of info at the Iceman website.

mtbr member
    I hope I'll be lucky enough to get in this next year. It was pretty fun!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This was my second Iceman and I was pretty much off my bike for the three weeks leading up to it, my results were better than I expected. I was on my SS Air nine Carbon. ended up at 1:55 11th in SS and beat my time from last year by almost 25 minutes, must have been from all the beer the night before!! hahaha

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by snowybunting View Post
    It was my 1st Iceman as well, and had two goals: 1) Finish, and 2) break 3:00. I came in at 2:38, so I'm pretty happy. Did pretty poorly in my age group, but as a beginner I think it was OK.

The entire day was a blast. All the people, all the beer, perfect weather...it was just a ton of fun.
    My exact same story, exact same time! Yes, it was a great event!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This was my first iceman. I blew up with about 10 miles to go. My goal was a time under 2:30 and I finished in 2:27. Next year I'm planning on peaking later in the year so hopefully I'll be able to get my time under 2 hours.

Self Inflicted
    Apr 2010
    This year sucked for me. I started in wave 7 and was all set to throw down a good time but snapped my chain halfway through. Then the chain kept jumping the teeth on the chainring afterward making it impossible for me to climb hills with power. My time was 2:48 but that was factoring in a half hour chain repair. Could have been quicker but I screwed the repair up twice. My bike computer time was 2:20. It just sucks cause I am gonna get kicked back a few waves cause of it. Not only does it screw me over this year but it caries over to next year too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    First time rider. Great experience! Hoping for 2:45 or better and did it in 2:50. 20lbs lighter and 20 minutes faster for 2012.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Great forum, I like to solve many problems
    http://x.co/j8cu
    ***************************/6wyf6l9[/img]
    ***************************/8ydtrny[/img]
    ***************************/78t5cw9[/img]

mtbr member
    I'll be doing the Iceman this year travelling from WI. For those who travel and stay near the race - where do you recommend staying? near the start or finish?

thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drmayer View Post
    I'll be doing the Iceman this year travelling from WI. For those who travel and stay near the race - where do you recommend staying? near the start or finish?

thanks.
    Traverse City. Kalkaska (start) is a small-ish town and only ~30min drive. Traverse is much bigger and has plenty of places to stay, eat, and drink, however, the city is pretty packed with mtb people that weekend.

The only issue is getting your vehicle from the Kalkaska start back to Traverse City after you finish unless you have a driver. You'll have to put you bike in the pen at the finish, take one of the shuttles back to Kalkaska and then deal with the traffic to get back to the campground for the post race libations.
    Life is not a spectator sport

http://www.facebook.com/landsharkracing

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips. We will have wives along to shuttle the vehicle from the start to finish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drmayer View Post
    Thanks for the tips. We will have wives along to shuttle the vehicle from the start to finish.
    Having a driver(s) is ideal.

Make sure you stick around for the pro-finish. I'm always amazed at how fast they come in and they're for the most part very accessible and willing to chat with people afterwards.

mtbr member
    I guess I had it pretty good last year; had drivers for our vehicles and a friend with a camper at Timber Ridge.

stumpypete: Loved the Landshark Iceman video from last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    stumpypete: Loved the Landshark Iceman video from last year.
    Thanks, we enjoyed making it. Not sure what's going to happen this year as a number of the Sharks can't make this years race. We should have a couple of fins out there, including me.