mtbr member

Huron Mountain Crusher (Marquette Sun Aug 24th)

We've got a 50+ mile ride heading into some of the most remote country near Marquette on August 23rd. Unnamed roads, unmapped trails, no resupply options, etc. Lots of fun to be had for the adventurous!

Flyer below for detais but feel free to reach out here, on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007629708023), or Wordpress (Huron Mountain Crusher | Gravel Grinder in remote Marquette County).

Hope to see a great group show up!

Huron Mountain Crusher (Marquette)-crusher.jpg
    Last edited by mbeardsl; 07-30-2014 at 05:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Are you in that area? I was about to make a thread asking about paths up there.
    I'm considering going up to Marquette in early September for a beer event and might bring my bike.

mtbr member
    I am here through the end of August, then back "home" for awhile, but I'll be back up sometime in the Fall I hope.

I would definitely come up here for the beer fest and bring your bike (great town to just ride around in)! It is a very friendly cycling community, very easy to find folks to ride with. There are a few weekly group rides. Quick Stop Bike Shop does a Tue 6:30pm ride that is great, ride leaders are top notch folks but also very talented riders. Also a great bike shop. There are some Wed and Thu rides also in Marquette and Negaunee (30 minute ride, 10 minute drive). If you park or ride to the main trailhead at the South Trails on a weekend you are bound to run into lots of folks, pretty easy to tag along if needed. 36+ miles and growing this summer so lots of different trails to enjoy.

There are also some North Trails around the Tourist Park area which are more techy than the South Trails and a TON (like hundreds of miles) of gravel riding to be had outside of town from pretty smooth to I'd-barely-take-an-ATV-on-this.

mtbr member
    Hey folks, we've had to move the ride to the next day due to a paving operation in the area Mon-Sat. I update the flyer above, new date is Sunday Aug 24th.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Getting closer to the big day!

We have the details, strat location map, a Roster, Ride Cues, and teaser pics posted on the blog at Huron Mountain Crusher | Gravel Grinder in remote Marquette County

We also have a GPX ready for anyone who wants it (email on the blog or PM me here with your email).

Hope some folks come up to join us!

mtbr member
    Some fun media for those interested in or on the fence with joining us in Marquette Aug 24th!

Elevation profile -

3D view of the "stout" part of the route -

Some pristine gravel -

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Halosapian View Post
    Are you in that area? I was about to make a thread asking about paths up there.
    I'm considering going up to Marquette in early September for a beer event and might bring my bike.
    There are also two weekly group rides sponsored by the Range Mountain Bike Club. They ride year round. These leave at 6:30 PM sharp. The Wednesday night ride has the most riders and leaves from the Jasper Ridge Brewery in Ishpeming. This has A, B and C groups with C the slowest for people who don't know the trails or who can't keep up with A or B, who don't wait. C has a sweeper, has posters at junctions and rides back with drop outs. The trails are a maize and I ride every week up there and don't have clue where I am. Thursday leaves from Chappers Pub in Negaunee and is more layed back and has fewer riders, but still just as much fun. I took my bike on the bus to Ishpeming, rode my 1940 CWC single speed clunker in the group ride and back 15 miles to Marquette on the Iron Ore Heritage Trail (Rails to Trails). It was dark in the woods by the time I got back. I won't do that again. I have met riders at these rides this summer from England, Arkansas, Iowa, Ohio and form Lower Michigan. They all want to come back as these trails are awesome, no machine made or groomed sections as this type of biking should be.

mtbr member
    In case anyone is on the fence, we have 32 other brave adventurers joining us for the ride this Sunday so far. Most are local, some from the far north (Houghton), and a couple from downstate. The more the merrier!

Media | Huron Mountain Crusher