Thread: hows the biking

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

hows the biking

work is talking about a transfer to Detroit, what is there for trails? What is withing an hour or so? How would you rate it, comming from Utah and use to some awsome trails

DynoDon
    Single Track rates the Potawami 28 to 31 global depending on the day, it's just north of Ann Arbor, North of Detroit are trails, West of Detroit are trails, East side of Detroit, not so good, South of Detroit only a few, there are many good trails in the area, not alot of climbing like out there, but good rides, it'll be different, but you will probably enjoy it, check out MMBA website.
    You get in most of our trails, and don't see much sun, we have trees that block the sun, roots, rocks, washes, sand, you'll get a workout, and some great scenery.
    Battle Creek has Ft Custer, a good one. Grand Rapids area has some good trails.
    Northern Michigan has plenty of trails, and the UP also has great trails. We also have plenty of Lakes, rivers and streams to cool off in, in the summer.
    There is plenty of road riding/bike paths in the Detroit and surrounding areas also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    sounds a lot like a few of the new england trails i have been on

Down South Yooper
    Personally, there's no way in *ell I would take a job in detroit. The riding in southern michigan is decent, all the places listed are actual, bona-fide good places to ride, but Detroit is, well, Detroit.

I certainly wouldn't trade Utah for Detroit..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am from Mi, but moved to Az for a year and moved back here to Mi. I am on the west side of the state by Grand Rapids so have no specific info in the Detroit trails but think I can offer an opinion on the trail comparison anyway.

First thing, the trails are great here. It is hard to compare them after that, its like the apples and oranges thing. The trails here are fast, curvy, flowing, singletrack, for the most part. What I saw in Az was rough, rocky and loose dirt mostly, while the challenges were fun, I prefer the fast cornering here, the hard-packed soil offers.

As far as living in Detroit. I am guessing you don't actually mean Detroit, but probably a suburb of it? If that is the case I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a good job you will be fine, you will be able to buy a mansion of a house, or save a ton of money from the poor housing market here. I would hope you would come visit for a week or so, before making a decision. I certainly wish I would have put a little more careful thought about moving to AZ before I did.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm in a similar situation. I've been working remotely from the Denver area for the past 2 1/2 years for a company based in Kalamazoo, MI. Now I'm about to make the move back.

rockyrunner is right, it's definitely apples and oranges. The riding is amazing out here in Colorado, lots of climbing followed by some fast rocky technical descents. Michigan is more gradual up and down and flowy, with more roots than rocks. But definitely no less fun!

I went back to Michigan this past summer to visit, and was able to get a couple of rides in at Fort Custer. It made me realize how much I really missed and enjoyed that type of riding. It's not the riding I'm going to miss, it's the weather. I've been able to ride pretty much year round out here...not so much in Michigan.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Mee too!

After a life spent in Western PA I no find myself smack dab in the middle of Michigan (Mount Pleasant) due a job change (my wife). I had been to Michigan to race the Lumberjack, but that was about it. Since moving here (1.5 weeks ago! LOL!) I have found a nice loop at the Mid Mich Community College, some trails at Deerfield Nature Park and an infinite amount of dirt and gravel roads to ride right from my house. From I read, and have had folks tell me there are more trails 1.5 hours away (in about every direction it seems). I miss the big climbs that the mountains of WPA offered, but the trails here are just as cool. Just different. Not looking forward to winter, but happy for the the options that seem to be here and looking forward to the nice race schedule that the state puts up. Try to seek out some more stuff close by before the snows come!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hows the biking-mmcc_1_b_a.jpg  

Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The trail guide is at mmba.org.

FYI- Detroit proper is a great place to ride around "urban touring" style when the trails are too wet or muddy.. You really appreciate the city from a bicycle. There is a Critical Mass at the end of the month (from April- Nov), plus some other group rides. Don't Dis the D! Ride the D!

mtbr member
    Trails near Detroit seem to get good press, I think the MMBA has a big base in that area. Howell, Detroit and surrounding.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

mtbr member
    The best local trails tend to be north and west of the city. Livingston county (north and west by about an hour) has some well maintained and popular trails; the Poto in Pinckney Rec. area, Brighton rec area and Island Lake. North West Oakland County (north of the city and not as far west as Livingston Co.)has some good stuff to, Iím not as familiar with them but Iíve heard good things, Milford and Pontiac Lake seem to be the better trails. You could always do like me, I moved to Livingston Co. for the trails, but I work in the city. Good luck with the move!!