mtbr member

How much is too much?

Long story short. I'm from Michigan, but I live in Washington state. So a month ago my brother comes out to visit me and want's to ride everyday he's here. Awesome! He currently rides a Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disk, but spent 5 days on my Yeti 575 and fell in love with it while he was here. Now he's OBSESSED with getting a dual suspension bicycle.

My question is for you guys that ride Michigan single track, is a bike like the 575 too much bike for general Mich riding? I spend lots of time climbing that thing to get to the top of mountains, so it doesn't seem like a stretch to tell him that it would be a great bike for xc, and lite duty free riding. It's light, suspension is tight and supple, and you can run whatever fork on it you want.

575 aside, how much suspension/geometry slackness do you think is too much? And is an all mountain bike overkill for the trails around in and around Waterford?

Thanks much -

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by goatboy001
    Long story short. I'm from Michigan, but I live in Washington state. So a month ago my brother comes out to visit me and want's to ride everyday he's here. Awesome! He currently rides a Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disk, but spent 5 days on my Yeti 575 and fell in love with it while he was here. Now he's OBSESSED with getting a dual suspension bicycle.

My question is for you guys that ride Michigan single track, is a bike like the 575 too much bike for general Mich riding? I spend lots of time climbing that thing to get to the top of mountains, so it doesn't seem like a stretch to tell him that it would be a great bike for xc, and lite duty free riding. It's light, suspension is tight and supple, and you can run whatever fork on it you want.

575 aside, how much suspension/geometry slackness do you think is too much? And is an all mountain bike overkill for the trails around in and around Waterford?

Thanks much -
    I live in Waterford and the nearby trails are Pontiac Lake and Highland where a dual suspension is not overkill at all. I have a 4 inch travel Ventana Pantera which is great fun but I don't think a 5 inch travel all mountain bike wouldn be overkill for a trail bike either. If you're racing XC competitively it would probably be overkill on weight but I don't race.

I think the 575 is a 5.75" travel bike and would be great fun too. You may want to try a 29"er bike too, either fully suspended or not. Those bikes totally rock around here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For casual riding a full softy bike is nice around these parts, but hardly mandatory. They make your back happy and you feel more planted bombing the downhills, but of hand I can't think of any trails in lower Michigan that can't be easily navigated with a hard tail.

For cross country racing a hard tail is the best way to go for Michigan trails, you'll notice the fastest sport expert and elite riders are all on hard tails. Endurance racing is a different story, just ride what you are most comfortable on for an extended period of time.

It pretty much comes down to what you are most comfortable on and how much you want to spend. $1,000 to $1,500 gets you a pretty darn good hard tail where a decent full suspension is going to start at $2,500.

You down with entropy?
    I agree with the above comments
    Full suser not needed but not overkill either.

I have a Titus motolite (set to 5 inches, but can go 4 as well).
    I came off full rigid and still have that bike and feel I could ride it most places.

I got the motolite as my go anywhere do most anything one bike. The 575 is right in that same class, you can take it most anywhere and it will do good. Michigan, out east and out west, its all good

It really comes down to what he wants. Try to get him to test ride bikes around michigan
    as it might make a difference riding on his home trails.

mtbr member

thanks

thanks for everyones insight.

I've at least got him off the idea of getting a bike that would probably bee too much. On a daily basis he was asking for my opinion on bikes like the Santa Cruz Nomad, Intense 6.6, Specialized Pitch, etc...bikes in that class.

He's just going to continue riding his almost new hardtail for a while. I'll give him the feedback that he should test ride some of the bikes you all mentioned around his local singletrack and sus it out from there.

mtbr member
    SS 29 with no suspension is what you need. This state is flat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shitbirdbicycle
    This state is flat.
    Go ride Marquette and the Keweenaw.

mtbr member

i was going to say...

I haven't done much cycling around michigan, but I know damn well the state isn't flat. I think that statement is based on what trails you are riding. And I hardly think that recommending a SS rigid 29ner to someone that fell in love with dual suspension is going to be helpful at all.

We are all very proud of you for riding one though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelg
    For cross country racing a hard tail is the best way to go for Michigan trails, you'll notice the fastest sport expert and elite riders are all on hard tails. Endurance racing is a different story, just ride what you are most comfortable on for an extended period of time.
    Actually the fastest guys in Michigan are on full rigid bikes. 29ers specifically.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    Actually the fastest guys in Michigan are on full rigid bikes. 29ers specifically.
    Hence pointing out sport and expert, not elite and the likes. A rigid bike is something you move up to, not something you start out on.

And to the guy that says this state is flat, let's go race two laps at Boyne, you on a single speed and me on a geared bike. Seriously, I'd only suggest a single speed for some one who already has great cardio, for the masses and most beginners gears are the only way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    Go ride Marquette and the Keweenaw.
    I have, and they're nice. Compared to Washington and other mountain states it is pretty flat.

mtbr member
    Hence pointing out sport and expert, not elite and the likes. A rigid bike is something you move up to, not something you start out on.

And to the guy that says this state is flat, let's go race two laps at Boyne, you on a single speed and me on a geared bike. Seriously, I'd only suggest a single speed for some one who already has great cardio, for the masses and most beginners gears are the only way to go.
    Sure we can race, Boyne is nice too.

mtbr member
    I have, and they're nice. Compared to Washington and other mountain states it is pretty flat.
    Well duh, but I still wouldn't call it flat. Flint is flat. Midland is flat.

mtbr member
    A rigid bike is something you move up to, not something you start out on.
    Thats news to me! Since I started on a rigid bike...

mtbr member
    Well duh, but I still wouldn't call it flat. Flint is flat. Midland is flat.
    Ok....., lets call it flatish or hillish. Or perhaps elevation challenged?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    70 minutes a lap for me on this years race course. I'll be doing the 24 hour event there next season on a two person mixed team. Come on out for the fun if you can.

mtbr member
    70 minutes a lap for me on this years race course. I'll be doing the 24 hour event there next season on a two person mixed team. Come on out for the fun if you can.
    You have a lot of passion, this is nice. This dialog we have is like that show "Pinks" where rednecks bet their cars on a race. Here's my best "Pinks" response. "70 minutes? I"ll add 15 minutes to that time buddy, you don't want to mess with this. I'm gonna take you down on the sweet dirt of Boyne Hill." (now its your turn)

mtbr member
    Ok....., lets call it flatish or hillish. Or perhaps elevation challenged?
    deal. whatever you call it, its a huge part of why i left the state.

mtbr member
    deal. whatever you call it, its a huge part of why i left the state.
    Me too, Colorado is bliss.

mtbr member
    Me too, Colorado is bliss.
    Indeed it is.

I should be studying...
    Really, it's all about what you have fun on... and there some places setting up some terrain park type stuff if that is your ilk. I rode a Cannondale Jekyll for 5 years and had a blast on it. I contemplated getting a Racer-X but decided to get one these instead--perfect for michigan trails. My next bike will probably be a Moto-lite though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You have a lot of passion, this is nice. This dialog we have is like that show "Pinks" where rednecks bet their cars on a race. Here's my best "Pinks" response. "70 minutes? I"ll add 15 minutes to that time buddy, you don't want to mess with this. I'm gonna take you down on the sweet dirt of Boyne Hill." (now its your turn)
    LOL!

If you give me 15 minutes of time I'll even run the last half mile.

So what does the bald guy tell us to do next?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    LOL!

If you give me 15 minutes of time I'll even run the last half mile.

So what does the bald guy tell us to do next?
    I hope your not talking about the course that the Fall XC race was on. Is it the same?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No clue what the fall XC course was, I imagine Brent only makes it harder if it's called championship.

When it comes down to it, I'm pretty much just an internet instigator. I'm a top three beginner and a MOP sport racer at best at this point. I'm mostly happy only having had my bike since last winter, but we'll see what happens next year focusing on triathlon and the endurance cup series.