mtbr member
    May 2012

Hit and run at Holly 6/14

Finally getting my two boys (7 and 5) out on the trail at Holly. We finish the north loop and come back to the car to find that someone backed into my new bike rack.

No note. Nothing.

Thanks a lot! It's still useable, but one of the wheel holding trays was bent very badly.

I still was able to get out and enjoy the ride with my boys. It was their first time at Holly. My youngest's first time ever on single track. Almost 3 months for me post ACL reconstruction. But sucks that some a hole couldn't give the common decency to stick around and say sorry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Oh man, sorry to hear about that :-/ The least they could have done was stuck around to offer something towards a new rack.
    What trail in Holly are you referring to? How many miles is it? Been trying to check out more trails this year, and with Ren Fest coming up in Holly, it would be a good excuse to take my bike out there ;-)

mtbr member
    Doo$hes abound. Someone in a truck swapped paint with my wife's car at work. Instead of dealing with their error, they hit their panic button, reversed hard, and removed the bumper from that side of the car while puncturing the sheet metal and exploding the tail lamp. Turned a three minute compound rub into an $1800 repair.

Another unknown asshat destroyed the same tail lamp a few months later. This second replacement lamp was damaged not two days after I installed it. Screw that tail-lamp, it's staying broke until she quits that job. She works in redneck loserville, half the cars in the lot are a mess. She's gotten lazy with age and no longer parks on the far side of the lot, so it'll get wrecked again because some people just don't care.

I back into parking spots as it is safer, and use the spots at the outside of lots so I can access gear in the rear or on the cargo tray at leisure. As my wife can attest, even where there is plenty room, asshats will find a way to get too close to your vehicle. The thing that's carrying my gear back home is too important to leave exposed for asshattery.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie James View Post
    Oh man, sorry to hear about that :-/ The least they could have done was stuck around to offer something towards a new rack.
    What trail in Holly are you referring to? How many miles is it? Been trying to check out more trails this year, and with Ren Fest coming up in Holly, it would be a good excuse to take my bike out there ;-)
    Holly-Holdridge Mountain Bike Trail - Look it up on MMBA's site. The Tech Loop is a favorite of mine. Grubers Grinder is pretty tough, and I've been hearing it's in pretty rough shape toward the last 1/4 or so. It's a fun trail, but I think people get out before the last 1/4.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    I back into parking spots as it is safer, and use the spots at the outside of lots so I can access gear in the rear or on the cargo tray at leisure. As my wife can attest, even where there is plenty room, asshats will find a way to get too close to your vehicle. The thing that's carrying my gear back home is too important to leave exposed for asshattery.
    Damn - your wife has some bad luck! I don't get the logic around bailing after accidentally backing into someone. The remorse of doing that would kill me!

Yep - I've now learned that and am starting to back into spots when I have the carrier. I understand that accidents happen, and I can see that the carrier could be difficult to see with a pickup, but at least stick around to say sorry. I would have been cool with that as the rack is still usable even though it's damaged.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    Holly-Holdridge Mountain Bike Trail - Look it up on MMBA's site. The Tech Loop is a favorite of mine. Grubers Grinder is pretty tough, and I've been hearing it's in pretty rough shape toward the last 1/4 or so. It's a fun trail, but I think people get out before the last 1/4.
    gruber's grinder (east loop) is fine to ride and clear at this moment and there is a trail day this coming saturday that should make it even better. if you aren't riding the last 1/4 you are missing some fun trail.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo View Post
    gruber's grinder (east loop) is fine to ride and clear at this moment and there is a trail day this coming saturday that should make it even better. if you aren't riding the last 1/4 you are missing some fun trail.
    Good to know! I had a friend attempt to ride it a few weeks ago and he said he had to bail out because of the fallen trees and over-growth.

It is a very fun trail, we normally ride Highland since it's so local. The beginning of Grinder is intense! Certainly no warm up!!