Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hi, new here

mtbr member

Hi, new here

Hello everyone. I just moved back to southeastern Michigan and was looking forward to doing some riding. I'm kind of suprised at the lack of trails around the downriver area. I'm planning on hitting Munson tomorrow, and possibly some of the Pinckney/Howell area trails soon. I guess I'd consider myself a beginner, even tho I've been riding since 2002-2003. I just never got a chance to ride enough to improve my skills. I'm planning to change all that this year. I ride a Diamondback Topanga hardtail. It's a decent bike, and has held up pretty good so far. Eventually I plan to upgrade, but I'm sure it will hold up fine. If anyone has suggestions on good trails for the beginner/intermediate rider who isn't afraid to challenge himself, let me know. I'm also on the lookout for a good bike shop. I've been to Al Petri's in Woodhaven, which seems ok.

Thanks
    Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    there are some nice trails in the Novi area, im from milford and i enjoy island lake and a decent new local trail we have.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip. I think I've read about Island Lake, it's on my to-do list. I rode the 2 mile loop through the woods at Munson Park yesterday. It was really muddy, but still fun. It's the type of trail I learned on overseas, so it was a good refresher. We have a place in the Howell/Pinckney area, so I'll be looking for trails around there also.

mtbr member
    Did you check out the Michigan Mountain Biking Association at mmba.org? If you go to the trails section you can put in a zip code and see trails in the area as well as links to the trail information. The MMBA has a very active bulletin board where you can find more information about group rides as well.

mtbr member
    I've used the MMBA site to find trail, but haven't really visited the boards yet.

mtbr member
    If you can, try and come out to the Novi Tuesday night ride. Look under Lakeshore Park in the MMBA website for directions and info. Plenty of bail out points so you can skip around or head back to the trailhead if you need to. The Tuesday ride is a No Drop event which means no one gets left behind thanks to a dedicated sweeper. Meet at 6:30 in the lot and leave the lot at 6:45.....(15 minute rule). Hope to see you there!!

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)
    Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, sounds like a good time. Might be a dumb question, but will i need lights? I currently don't have any.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grnd93
    Thanks for the info, sounds like a good time. Might be a dumb question, but will i need lights? I currently don't have any.
    Nope...this time of year we can pretty much do the whole thing without lights....by September it may be a good idea though. Don't forget...it's light until almost 10 around here in June!

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    Obviously I didn't make it tonight, had alot of work around the house to do. I might give it a shot next week tho.

mtbr member
    Well, I rode Potowatame today, at least most of it. That trail kicks some serious but. It's probably a little beyond my skill level, but I had a great time anyway. I plan on riding it any chance I get.

on the other side
    I just moved back to southeast Michigan back in early March; after being gone for almost 10 years. Last Saturday I picked Highland (in White Lake), really enjoyed it... but boy was that an interesting 1st ride of the season! Sunday I rode in Milford on a group ride I had been invited on; which was a blast! Even if I was pretty much beat from Saturday's ride. Then last night I rode the Commerce trail. I really enjoyed that one, which was recommended to me to help work myself back into the season.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    Eirene,

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I've been away about 16 years. Didn't get into mountain biking until 2001. Since I'm still looking for work here I plan to ride as much as I can to get my skill level up as much as I can this summer. The only real problem I had at Poto was the technical up-hill sections. I got a few tips on tackling those from the MMBA forums. I think my next ride will be the group ride at Lakeshore Park tuesday night, then I want to try Maybury and Brighton. If you are ever looking for someone to ride with let me know.
    Last edited by grnd93; 04-25-2008 at 07:42 PM.

on the other side
    grnd93,

Sounds like good times to me.

I plan on hitting the Commerce trail as often as work allows (sadly, this week has been a killer on me ), especially since itís one of the closest trails to where I live. I just hate having to drive home from work then turn around and head back in the direction I just came from and waist time just to get a ride in. So some time this weekend Iím going to see if I can fit my bike into my Jeep (4-door). That way I can change at work and head straight out.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    what kind of Jeep do you have? I have a Grand Cherokee and I can fit mine if I take the Front wheel off. I think it would fit in my wife's Liberty also. Where is the Commerce trail? I didn't see it listed on the MMBA trail guide, or maybe I didn't look close enough.

on the other side
    I’ve got a 4-door Wrangler. I’m pretty sure if I pop off the front tire it’ll fit, but I’m going to double check just to make sure; especially since I pass several trails on my way home from work (in Ann Arbor).

The Commerce trail (it's called Hickory Glen) is off of Glengary Rd behind the last baseball diamond. Basically you look for the cell phone tower behind the last field, then to the left of the field off the paved path is the trail head.

Commerce
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to add that one to my list. You should have no trouble getting your bike in the back of your wrangler.

This is a great forum, I just learned that I should get a new helmet , still have the same one from 2002

mtbr member
    I'm a big fan of Commerce, especially after rains and early in the season since it drains so well...it's normally one of the first rideable trails in the area. It's only a couple mile ride from my house so it's great when I don't have time to go someplace else or don't want to waste gas. Not a lot of climbing out there but we have to deal with what the topography is. I love it for singlespeeding since I only use one or two gears on my geared bikes anyway. Commerce is a lot easier to follow this year since someone raked it or blew the leaves off...Thanks to whomever did that! As one of the trail coordinators for "The Hick" we plan on getting some better signage out there this summer...starting with a nice kiosk by the trailhead....

Poto is an awesome trail but it will kick your butt if you're not up for it. As will Highland. Highland doesn't give you any place to rest...it's rock, root, uphill, downhill, repeat.....Pontiac Lake is another GREAT trail in this area...I gotta get out there sometime soon....

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    maybe I'll have to move Commerce up on my list. I had a great time at Poto, even though it was a bit over my head it was a good chance to see where my weaknesses are.

on the other side

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Apps
    I'm a big fan of Commerce
    I've managed to make there twice now even with my hectic schedule. I really enjoy the ride out there. ...and like Apps said, Commerce isn't too far from where I live and makes a tad easier on the pocket book.

grnd93,

Yea, I'd suggest heading out there. From the sounds of it you'll really enjoy that one.
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    I rode Lakeshore Park today. My wife and I tried to make it for the group ride last night, but she doesn't get off work until 5:30 at the earliest, so we didn't make it in time. We ended up just riding a little bit before she got tired, so I went back this afternoon so I could do the whole thing. Overall I liked it, there were a couple of challenging spots, and alot of areas to help build my confidence. Maybe Commerce next week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What does everyone think of Maybury?

mtbr member
    Haven't ridden Maybury yet, maybe next week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just road it yesterday, and its a pretty kickass trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Iím pretty much brand new to the trail-riding thing though I had wanted to do it for a long time I just never had the time or the funds.

Maybury was the first trail I tried and it blew my mind with how much fun it could be. Good exercise also with all the short ups and downs. My skills are week as is my cardio so I never really ďflowedĒ on it like some other riders that were passing me put I had a great time regardless. After I had ridden that trail 3 times (I read that some people ride 3 laps in one go!) I tried Lakeshore and I think I like it even better. I jumped some logs skipped some others, cornered harder than I thought I could and rode into something they I think is called the crater before I really new what it was and kind of scared myself (of course I had to try it again)

As soon as I figure out what wrong with my almost brand new Shimano BB I will be back for another couple of laps.

Poto is next.

BTW I can tell you that I havenít found any good trails downriver if you run across some super secret trail pm me or something

on the other side
    Maybury is on my way to and from work, I want to hit it on my way home. But... between the overtime I've been picking up and a few other outside factors... Well, let's just say I've been else where.

Rode Island Lake the other day (on the way home if I take the long route); I think it was Tuesday -crap my days are blending together. It's been a long week. Anyway, I enjoyed it... not overly thrilled about the sections of two way riders but other wise was a good ride. I still like Commerce better than Island and it's easier on the gas.
    ...pursue those.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast