mtbr member
    May 2007

Grampian Challenge Bike/Tire Choice

I'm riding the Grampian Challenge in October. I'm trying to decide on tires for the race. I'd like to ride my cross bike, which is my usual choice for gravel rides. It's set up with flat bars, 34/46 crank and 11-34 10 speed cassette. Right now I'm running 32c Kenda Small Block 8s. I'm guessing these will be a little small for some of the downhill and single track portions. 38c fits the frame fine, and I may be able to run 42s. Suggestions from those familiar with the course?

mtbr member
    I have not ridden the course, but I was looking at pictures and it appears most people use their XC bike. I am considering doing it, but will probably use my Flash 29er...Kenda small block 8 rear and Rocket ron front (because that is what is on the bike now). If I were to use my CX bike, I would consider small block 8s as well. Probably get them in a 35c or a Happy medium 40c if it would fit on your frame. I think the happy medium might measure less than 40. By the way, small block 8 35c are like $31 at tree fort last time I checked. Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. I was considering the happy mediums. There is plenty of frame clearance. I'm very happy with the small block 8s, but think a little extra width would be helpful. Good luck if you decide to ride!

mtbr member
    Same to you! Still on the fence, though. Definitely doing the Lowell 50 in October

I'd rather be on my bike
    I rode this last year, and did a Kenda Nevegal up front, and a Kenda Smallblock 8 out back. I did the short course, which has now been eliminated. I would wait to see what the weather will be like. That Smallblock in the mud would be horrible.