Just ride
    Jul 2009

New question here. Good SE MI bike shop for buying & installing frame build kit??

I just bought a BMC Fourstroke 03 frame and have a 2 mo. old Magura Laurin 130 fork on my current hardtail. I'm looking to replace virtually everything else and am contemplating whether I should attempt to install everything myself except the crank & fork, or let a bike shop build the entire bike.

Anyone know of a good shop that might not only have a good deal on a components package, but also install everything for a fair price?? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I like Jacks Bicycles in Monroe. They always seem to help me out when I'm in there and are very friendly. Having them build up a wheel set in the next couple days.

Hoopy Frod
    Jun 2009
    I just recently had Trails-Edge in Plymouth/Northville re-build my ride. They ordered everything I needed, Installed everything perfectly, and had great labor prices (too cheap if you ask me)
    They offer 10% off to MMBA members as well... I saved much more than the $30 mmba registration on the rebuild alone.
    They built me some bad ass wheels for $300 as well.. Got some Sun-Ringle Rhyno Lites on DMR revolver hubs, hand built.... Put them through some serious stress testing so far... and they have amazed me.
    I don't work for them or anything... but I've had some serious issues with local shops recently, and Mike and the guys at Trails-Edge have really made me feel better about supporting local bike shops.

Black Sheep rising
    +1 for Trail's Edge!
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Just ride
    Jul 2009
    Thanks - I'll give Trail's Edge a shot. It is relatively close to my work in Novi.

Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009
    I may have to check them out as well. The shops in Walled Lake/Novi, and Northville havent impressed me at all. D&D in Brighton seemed the best so far.

Black Sheep rising
    Tell 'em the Fat Old Bastard sent you.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If you're near Clawson, try Cycleworks. Eric (the owner) has more than fair labor rates and he's a total straight shooter.

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    I find it harder and harder to buy parts and bikes in a local bike shop nowadays. I remember a few spots that had great selection and service. Now it seems hard to get the higher end items without going online.

Trails end has been good and paint creek I have heard is good!

Just started dealing with Cycle to fitness, Daniel and he is a great help and full of information.
    Last edited by jkkfam89; 08-06-2009 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have had really bad luck with Trails Edge and have since sent all my business to Cycle to Fitness in Livonia www.cycletofitness.com Dan the owner is awesome and will help you with what ever you need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The guys over at Town and Country in downtown Northville are really good too. I spent a while in there last week comtemplating a new bike. Great prices, great people.