mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Going to be going to Copper Harbor in Aug.

Hey guys,

My brother and I will be traveling up to Copper Harbor from Elkhart Lake WI in Aug. Specifically, we will be staying at the fort campsites from Aug. 23-26th.

What trails are the best ones up there? Think the shuttle is worth it? Is there anything else you guys recommend doing up there. I have two small kayaks I could bring but am also open to renting some. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    All trails!! You will have a enough time to ride everything. If you want a day of gravity, use the shuttle. I would take your own kayaks if you want to float around, I seem to remember the rental place in town making you take a kayaking course or something before renting them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trevrev97 View Post
    All trails!! You will have a enough time to ride everything. If you want a day of gravity, use the shuttle. I would take your own kayaks if you want to float around, I seem to remember the rental place in town making you take a kayaking course or something before renting them.
    Thanks for the reply! They aren't the long kayaks. They're fairly short. Will they work ok on Lake Superior?

I was thinking about buying a weekend shuttle pass. Hopefully the bikes we're bringing can handle the downhills... We'll have a Niner RIP9 and JET9. Rips got 140 and jet has 95-120

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Anybody else have any input on the trails there? Would a RIP9 and JET9 be able to handle the downhills?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiebs915 View Post
    Anybody else have any input on the trails there? Would a RIP9 and JET9 be able to handle the downhills?
    Flow, On The Edge, Woopidy Woo, Garden Brook, Red Trail, Say Hello, and Here We Go are all very fun trails that will be just fine for your niners (mostly intermediate technical level, but fun for all abilities). You would likely be outgunned on the freeride/jump trails like Downtown, Flying Squirrel, and Danimal, but it depends more on your skill level than your bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    Flow, On The Edge, Woopidy Woo, Garden Brook, Red Trail, Say Hello, and Here We Go are all very fun trails that will be just fine for your niners (mostly intermediate technical level, but fun for all abilities). You would likely be outgunned on the freeride/jump trails like Downtown, Flying Squirrel, and Danimal, but it depends more on your skill level than your bike.
    Thanks for your input! I'm really excited!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What should I expect for the trails? Will there be large rock gardens or is it mostly hard packed dirt?

mtbr member
    Its both but plenty of conglomerate rock up there which looks like dirt. Expect elevation change....

What should I expect for the trails? Will there be large rock gardens or is it mostly hard packed dirt?
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by arly View Post
    Its both but plenty of conglomerate rock up there which looks like dirt. Expect elevation change....
    I've driven up there before. I suspect I will be climbing a lot. So the trails are rocky? Are there any fast single tracks with packed dirt?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've driven up there before. I suspect I will be climbing a lot. So the trails are rocky? Are there any fast single tracks with packed dirt?
    It depends where and which trail you are on. Yes there is dirt. Yes there is rock. Yes there are roots. Will you have fun? YES.

This video does a good job of showcasing the trails:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9btRzqsvA

mtbr member
    You will have an absolutely epic time up in Copper Harbor. I was up for 3 days last week. Spectacular scenery with the best groomed (where possible, as there is plenty of solid rock as previously noted) trails you'll ever find. Make sure to take your camera for the some great trailside shots.
    You'll have plenty of climbing, unique rock hops/ridges, bridges and boardwalks, great flow trails with banked switchbacks, loose rock in the trail, and scenery galore

Here's a great website to check out the trails.
    Copper Harbor Trails | Trail Genius

Here's a few to get you guys stoked:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going to be going to Copper Harbor in Aug.-bullwinkle-trail-waterfall.jpg  

Going to be going to Copper Harbor in Aug.-danimal-trailhead.jpg  

Going to be going to Copper Harbor in Aug.-garden-brook-trail.jpg  

Going to be going to Copper Harbor in Aug.-red-trail-break.jpg  

Going to be going to Copper Harbor in Aug.-red-trail-bridge-crossing.jpg  

Going to be going to Copper Harbor in Aug.-flow-lake-superior-overlook.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just got home from Copper Harbor, best trails I've ridden to date! I liked Woopidy Woo (starting east) heading to Garden Brook, as well as The Flow, and Dza Beet to Here We Go finishing at Stairway to heaven. I have an Ibis Mojo SL-R and I did all the trails, including Downtown and Danimal and had no problems so you should be good to go on the Niners (lots of guys out there killing it on hardtails). Have fun, let us know how it goes.

Greg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Are there any places to eat that I should try out?

mtbr member
    Its a very small town with few places to eat. Still Harbor Haus is good, Mariner North is more like bar food but still good and we commonly go to the Pines. If you enjoy a fine brew, Brick Side brewery is there,, but they can't serve food. Since they opened just over a year ago, they've become our favorite brewery in the area. We can purchase bottles of it down here in Houghton.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by arly View Post
    Its a very small town with few places to eat. Still Harbor Haus is good, Mariner North is more like bar food but still good and we commonly go to the Pines. If you enjoy a fine brew, Brick Side brewery is there,, but they can't serve food. Since they opened just over a year ago, they've become our favorite brewery in the area. We can purchase bottles of it down here in Houghton.

Thanks! I'll check those places out while I'm up there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm getting pretty excited. I will be heading up there on Friday morning.

mtbr member
    Stop by Kewenaw Adventures and buy a $5 trail map. The Harbor Haus is excellent food......pricey for the area, but well worth it.
    I was speaking with the township hall rep and she said the state had purchased 1600 acres east of town (past the campground), and it was the 10 year plan to develop that land into more mountain biking trails. If that happens, Copper Harbor will go from the best in the Midwest to one of the premier mountain biking destinations in the US.

Have a great time

Brett

mtbr member
    I'm not confident of the Keweenaw Point trail build plan, but I would guess its much shorter than 10 years.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kewee...00276366691992

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Copper Harbor was great! Best trails I've ridden so far!