mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Getting a new bike.

Hi, I am going to be getting a new bike with some tax money. I'm posting in the Michigan forum cause I live right around the Howell area. So figured the Michigan guys and gals could help me out. I'm looking at the trek 4300 with disk break. I will be riding mostly at the park and through my sub to start out. Then bout half way through the season I will hit some beginner trails at island lake if there are any....LOL Either way would like some information on riding in general and what ya think bout the bike.

Thanks for your help....

mtbr member
    the michigan forum is pretty slow...you might get a better response (but less local) in the beginner's forum.

Ancient Winged Rider
    Not a bad bike for the price. If you are new to biking then start on the easy stuff then build up to some off road stuff. Good luck....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great!!! Yeah couple other people said start out slow and when time comes upgrade. Thanks for the replies and will post in the beginners section as well.

Thanks again,

dh1
    mtbr member
    also try www.mmba.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ride a trek 3900 and just love it....and as for island lake...its all beginner there....Im a beginner myself and love the blue loop there...its a nice relaxing ride, you should give it a try!
    -tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Trek makes a nice bike. My first real mountain bike was a Trek. As another posted noted, do check out mmba.org. They have great information about the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great. Thanks Kellah for the reply.. WIll go check out the site now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah I will have to meet up with ya sometime to ride at island lake. I live in brighton so its not a far drive for me at all.

mtbr member
    Now that you’ve got a new bike, (yet?) we hope to see ya up in the Keweenaw riding some trails with us.

http://www.copperharbortrails.org/
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes shortly will have a bike... As soon as the feds and state give me my tax refund... Its been a couple weeks since I mailed them so should be soon. Also would enjoy riding sometime up there with you guys. Thanks for the invite.

mtbr member
    To check out the trails in our area look for Maasto Hiihto, Swedetown, Churning Rapids, Michigan Tech which is just four blocks from our home. And Cooper Harbor trails which are 40 miles up into the peninsula and well worth the drive and our personal favorites. We’ve posted photos of all these. Hope we see you up! And good luck with the bike shopping.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i just got a old trek 950 and i enjoy the ride more then my friends 4500, could just be me though?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well that is a great bike too. But i went with the 4300 to save a little on assc.... I road both and they really felt the same so I save a little cash... Im really happy with it. Although im really out of shape and only been riding 3 miles every night. so my legs pretty much feel like there going to fall off.. Really also need to get a new seat. Cause damn its a nut butt buster lololol!!!! Anyone recommend at soft seat... Let me know and thanks again for everyone helping me get the new bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There are group rides each week at Poto and once a month it is moved to Brighton.

ILRA has Friday evening rides starting soon.

Novi/Lakshore has Tuesday night rides all year long except in spring thaw.

Check out Ride Announcements and the Calendar on the mmba.org board that was mentioned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well guys got some bad news.. I have to to sell my bike that i just bought and was so excited about... I had some recent events that happen and need some money... Nothing illegal or anything but just normal stuff...lol so you all dont think im crazy... Either way I only road the bike once since i got it cause things happend... I can send pictures of it to people via email if anyone is interested... I will also send the selling price to them via email... Private message me here if you would like a to know informations... Here is a pic of the bike i can put up here... I live in the area of Brighton, Mi so local pickup would be nice...