Just Ride

Fort Custer and Yankee springs

Anyone ride these? I'm a couple hours south and am planning to ride both this year. Along with Lawless. I hear TK is pretty tame. And Yankee Springs has some fun downhillish sections. Just wanna get an idea of what to expect, look forward to!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    yankee springs is a hell of a lot of fun. It is my local trail (about a 15min drive there from my house). The trail is set up with about 5 or 6 short cuts if you want an easier ride. 13 miles (about) total if you stay to the right and skip all the shortcuts. The 'downhill' sections at yankee get progressively more difficult the longer your ride is but are all very do-able on a rigid bike and are smooth with your lines.

It's all about the FSR!
    Fort Custer is a great trail. I really like how it is laid out, and there is a lot of trail to ride. I have done Yankee once, and it was fun, but we had someone have a serious fall leading to a small concussion, so we had to walk it out. I only rode part of Yankee.

Just Ride
    Good to know on both. They are close enough, just about a couple hours from me I think, that I'm sure I could make a weekend out of both. Saturday for one, and sunday for the other! Hiking at both for the fiance though.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I used to live a few miles down the road from Fort Custer. It's a great system. Generally fast and flowy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was planning on heading to Fort Custer either this weekend or possibly next weekend. I'm in Northern Indiana too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm from Fort Wayne, about an hour and half from Ft. Custer. I ride there a few times every year, but only in Spring / Early Summer. I have fun when the trails are still hard, but once July rolls around it seems like they get too sandy for my taste.

Yankee Springs does not look like a bad drive at all either. I had not heard of that trail before, maybe I will try it out this summer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yankee is great, but sand can be a real "issue" there. Rain does good things for Yankee in regards to the sand. If your coming up for Fort Custer you should definitely hit up Yankee as well.