mtbr member

Family camping/riding trip - UP Beta needed

Hi All,

My family and I are coming back to lower Michigan in July to visit family. We're considering heading up to the UP to camp for 3-4 nights and to get a little riding in. Its been 20 years since I've been in the UP, I'm sure a lot has changed. Wanted to get some good recommendations for where to camp and what to ride. We really want to show the kids the Great Lakes (something I miss dearly). It'd be ideal if there was riding from the campsite, with limited driving needed. Any recommendations? The family experience will supercede the riding experience - but hoping for both!

I've been drooling over Copper Harber, but its a HAUL from Detroit.

Gracias!
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Bump.
    We are strongly considering a trip the last 2 weeks in June. A yooper trip will be super!
    Recommendations for camping.
    Bonus for decent fishing!

DBs
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hi-yes, CH is a haul-never been there myself, so can't comment on how it is exactly other than to say that its on my list too. For what you are looking for, I'd highly recommend hitting Bruno's Run which is about 13 miles straight south of Munising..nice semi-rustic campground right there-Pete's Lake Campground-trail is about 10 miles-nothing terribly difficult, but can't beat the scenery-goes through/around several beautiful lakes, and is very much "out there"...campground has a nice beach, and for family stuff, its pretty close to Pictured Rocks, which is great in the summer. From there you are only about 1 hr to Marquette-more camping options there, and MQ is another great town in the summer, with lots of great riding-must hit Marquette Mtn south trails. FYI, Munising is about 1.5 hrs from the bridge, and then another hr to Mqt.

Hope this helps!

ride bikes, be happy.
    Yep, your'e right in that Copper Harbor is quite a trek from the LP. Like DBs said above, Marquette is great riding, esp. the south trails. No camping right near them, but Tourist Park is a campground within the city limits that isn't too far of a drive to the South Trails. Also lots of off the bike things to do, hiking Sugarloaf is usually a must-do for visitors, there's plenty of beaches as well, lots of good places to eat and a decent downtown.
    Noquemanon Trail Network - that's the trail system's website.
    Hope this helped out.

mtbr member
    If you happen to decide to visit the Ontonagon area, let me know. There are a gazillion family friendly places to visit. Better yet, make a point to visit the Western UP to include the Keweenaw.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, everyone! Still trying to put together a plan.

Curious - how busy are the campgrounds during the week of 4th of July? The 4th is on a Thursday. Would we have a hard time finding camping on the Mon or Tues of that week? Pete's Lake CG sounds like a great suggestion for what we're looking for!
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)