mtbr member

Fall colors in the yoop

I'd like to get in one last good ride in Marquette before the season pretty much closes down. Ideally I'd like to ride when the fall color is in or near full swing, but the trails aren't covered with the slippery little buggers. I can crash in leaves at home thanks much

So, when is the time to come for that? I know around north-central Wisconsin it always seems that the last weekend in September is the best. I don't think I can get up the 26th-27th, but maybe the 19-20. Would that be too early?

Thanks

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    19-20 is gonna probably be a little early, we're not seeing any colors yet (at least in Houghton). I'd say come the first weekend in October cause the colors should be good and the lifts will be running. The main thing I worry about up here in Houghton isn't to many leaves on the ground but getting into the rainy season towards the end of fall.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    I too would lean for early October, or sometime during the first half of October.

I have some photos of fall color in Munising on my website. Those I took on October 13, 2004.

From what I see now, today, September 19th just seems too early to see much in the way of color. Weather might be good though. I really love fall riding when it's sunny and cool out.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips Looks like I'm leaning toward that first weekend in October then

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    First weekend would probably be a good bet. Still will have plenty of the leaves on the trees and not on the trails. Here are a few pics of the Copper Harbor area a few years back on Oct. 1st.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dang, those pics make me home sick. I haven't seen a fall up there in 16 years, my favorite time of year to ride.

mtbr member
    That's really interesting. In North Central Wisconsin the leaves are usually falling pretty hard during the first week of Oct. I'm going to get my butt up there that weekend of the 3rd-4th for sure. Thanks for the pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    North Central Wisconsin is higher elevation that most of the bike trails in northern UP. The big lake keeps the nights a little warmer in fall. It makes a difference. This month has been a little warmer than usual too.