mtbr member
    Jul 2006

dry trail within driving?

Hello All!

As much fun as snow biking is, i'm itching to hit some dry trails and sad to say, 4 months is too long to wait for the white stuff to go away.

Does anyone know of a trail withing driving distance of detroit that does not snow?

I'm looking at maybe 5 hrs or more if need be.

Let me know!

Thanks

mtbr member
    harryzhong- check out how the weather's been around Zilpo Recreation area/ Morehead State area in Kentucky. It's about 7 hours, really, but great riding and camping.
    Otherwise, come on down to Asheville- year round, baby (except the occasional day here or there).
    Former michigander.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey Mike

Thanks for the tip! I just googled it, 6 hrs 20 mins is definitely doable.

I'm assuming Morehead & Zilpo are in the Daniel Boone National Forest.

Looks sweet, definitely going to look into it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Depends on what you're looking for, but it never snows at Rays indoor mtb park in Cleveland. About 2 1/2 hours away.

www.raysmtb.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    haha i did look into ray's. looks kinda cool, but if i'm gonna drive, i dont mind driving a bit more to hit some real dirt.

how is ray's? i'm usually into XC, is ray's more trick oriented?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It's a mix. There's a "XC" loop, which is about 1/2 mile/lap if I recall correctly, with some interesting climbs and descents. A few laps on that, mix in some skinnies, the pump track, and table top jump lines, and I usually come away with 10 miles or so on the clock in a few hours of riding and playing. It's a different kind of riding - feels like a lot of sprints rather than epic spinning, but it's kind of addicting. Each time there I'm a little more adventurous.