mtbr member

Do you ride all winter???

This is my first year 'back into riding'. How many of you ride through the winter? Any suggestions or advice for a 'newbie'?????

mtbr member
    Nokian studded tires are a must. If you cannot affors a pair, at least put one on the front.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say studded tires are a must. I have been riding the last 5 winters without studded tires and haven't had to much trouble. There have been times where I wish I did have them, but you can get buy with an aggresive tread for the snow. Just watch out for the ice patches.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dude, it all depends on where you ride. I ride all year, and never use studs in the winter. I enjoy playing in traffic and on the trails. Even with studs, ice can still bite you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ride year round. I found warm shoes like the Lake Mx301 make it much more enjoyable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I always carry a flask.

Oh, and I don't wear my clipless in when it is snowy or icy.

Lakeshore in Novi and Stony Creek in Shelby Township, among other trails, has night/winter rides on Tues. and Wed. evenings, so check out Ride Announcements at mmba.org.

Oh, and Maybury in Northville is open daytime in winter, now, too!

mtbr member

Chains are the answer!!

I'm in the U.P. and some of us have started putting chains on our tires. Not neccessary for the trails if you can ride them but it's the shiznit for the roads.

Buy 6 feet or so of the kind of chain that you hang flourescent light from (the links look like a figure 8 and it's about 47cents per ft) and place 3 links across your tire and tie on the backside with a ziptie. You obviously have to have disc brakes. Do that every other spoke and you have monster traction. You can do wheelie's on the ice.

Good luck! Let me know how it works for you!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    We plan on keeping the trail at Bennett Park in Charlotte ridable all winter. It may take a few hours with a snow blower but it will be ridable. Its also a great night ride spot, the park is open until 10pm. I ride the fattest tires I can fit on my bike with 30 psi and have no problems accept for glare Ice. Carry a thermos of your favorite hot beverage with you, it comes in handy when you get a chill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So, and in contrast to an earlier post, I continue riding year round--but this year hook up set of homemade studs. When it is very cold and the back roads are all ice and snow, these thing grip well. I have them on an old, rigid, Diamondback DX.

this year I am carrying foot and hand warmers in my camelback, just in case--but haven't needed them yet. If you got some hills to climb, it is easier to stay warm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I ride year round -- mainly for commuting in the winter though (on MSU's campus).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Riding in the snow is the best, after the skiiers have packed down the trail then go in and screw up their tracks. besides if you fall over it's nice fluffy snow. Also, Alley Cat races are a blast and are probably good explosion training.

mtbr member
    I moved to Florida last year, winter riding hasn't been an issue.