Ride Instigator

Detroit Area Trails?

Looks like I'm going to be working in the Detroit area for a couple of months and I'm hoping to check out some local trails in my spare time. I'm pretty sure I'll be staying in Livonia and hoping there's some trail close enough to hit after work during the week (working til 4pm or so).

Anything good nearby or should I bring the road bike for during the week and MTB on weekends?

mtbr member
    Check out the Michigan Mountain Biking Association website. They have a trail guide that you can search by distance from a zip code http://www.mmba.org/trail-guide Also check out their forum for trail updates, ride notices, etc.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by skinl19
    Check out the Michigan Mountain Biking Association website. They have a trail guide that you can search by distance from a zip code http://www.mmba.org/trail-guide Also check out their forum for trail updates, ride notices, etc.
    Y'know, I was jusst starting to look at the mmba site, then I got distracted and forgot what I was thinking about ...thanks for the reminder!

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko
    Y'know, I was jusst starting to look at the mmba site, then I got distracted and forgot what I was thinking about ...thanks for the reminder!
    Was it a shiny thing? Happens to me all the time.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Hard Tail

... and if we just ... Detroit Metro

You will want to go to "Island lake", thats my reg spot, hit it yesterday, not too far from Livonia.
    http://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...land-lake.html

The closest I believe is "Maybury", kinda short.
    http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=BGM057-003

Potowatami is great and its in Ann Arbor.
    http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com...l&cid%5B%5D=18

Just ride
    Jul 2009
    Try Highland Rec. I realize it's probably 45 minutes from Livonia, but it's definitely worth the drive. Most technical trail I've encountered. Maybe I'm partial since I'm only 10 minutes way, but you won't be disappointed!!

Ride Instigator
    Yep, I've had all kinds of great rides up here in the last couple of months. I only have one week left before I head home to NW Indiana and I almost don't wanna' go home cuz I'm enjoyong the trails so much!

I've ridden Maybury the most because it's only 10 minutes from where I'm working. Rode at night at Tree Farm/Lakeside quite a few times. Potowatomi is my favorite, Highland is awesome, love Pontiac Lake. Isand lake was a bit flat for my taste and Stoney Creek involved a little too much fireroad riding...maybe I just didn't find all the singletrack?

Anyway, this is my last weekend here. Heading to Poto Saturday and probably Highland Sunday. During the week I'll be riding Mayberry, Tree Farm and Pontiac lake. If you see a slow, old guy on a red Heckler, yell Hey .

You guys have a lot of great trails in this area!!

Hoopy Frod
    Jun 2009
    I have to insist that you come check out Milford and Proud Lake Recreation in Milford. It's about 20minutes west of Lakeshore in Novi.

Milford is short but perfect, Proud lake is equestrian, but old school mountain biking. Some great climbs and some awesome downhill sections. The two are actually sort of connected... but I always miss the connector myself.

Hickory Glen in Commerce is only about 5 minutes from Lakeshore and is another 6 miles of awesome tight handling in the burbs. Couple small freeride stunts, pretty fast... similar to a small Lakeshore in a lot of ways.

If you need a guide, I live about 2 miles from Lakeshore and Hickory Glen.... 4 from Proud Lake... I'm a little beat up and might not keep up, but I can at least get you started in the right direction.

michael@colorvoyeur.com

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ColorVoyeur
    I have to insist that you come check out Milford and Proud Lake Recreation in Milford. It's about 20minutes west of Lakeshore in Novi.

Milford is short but perfect, Proud lake is equestrian, but old school mountain biking. Some great climbs and some awesome downhill sections. The two are actually sort of connected... but I always miss the connector myself.

Hickory Glen in Commerce is only about 5 minutes from Lakeshore and is another 6 miles of awesome tight handling in the burbs. Couple small freeride stunts, pretty fast... similar to a small Lakeshore in a lot of ways.

If you need a guide, I live about 2 miles from Lakeshore and Hickory Glen.... 4 from Proud Lake... I'm a little beat up and might not keep up, but I can at least get you started in the right direction.

michael@colorvoyeur.com
    I'm planning on Lakeshore Tuesday the 17th after work, I'll be saddled up and ready to roll by 5 or so. Might hook up with the group at 6:30 for a second lap...I'm not sure if I trust the burn time on my light for a second lap though . I'll be riding a red Heckler w/polished swingarm, driving a black Accord coupe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I know your running out of time, but if you get a chance, check out Holdridge in Holly. Home of Gruber's Grinder! It is a bit of a drive from Livonia, but worth it IMO!

Glad to hear you have enjoyed the trails in the area!

Chris